1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mushroom question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by P-Funk, Sep 27, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Even though there hasn't been any rain, these mushrooms are popping up all over the pasture. Do you know if they're safe for the girls, the puppy, or horses to eat??? [​IMG] The puppy was devouring them when I caught him this morning. The girls are free ranging, but haven't discovered said shrooms yet. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Almost impossible to tell from those pictures. Can you get close-ups? Top, Bottom, Sides?

Kind of look like shaggy manes, if so you are very lucky, edible. But make sure they are.

Imp

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Agreed, impossible to say from that photo.

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    hose are shaggy manes. Edible before they get inky, then yucky. Don't eat too many at once or they can lead to mild stomach upset.

5. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks, all. I tried to post better pics but the camera and computer aren't getting along right now. As I was walking back to the house the girls had toppled over the fence to one of two gardens remaining (out of twelve). They were eating the jalepenos. Jalapenos, really? This is the point where I just quit caring. At least the next batch of eggs should be nice and be spicy!!! Right?

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Are the chickens laughing insanely, and walking around, looking up in the sky?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  7. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    [​IMG] The puppy was completely insane to begin with. He does love his shrooms. As did I, but I called it college.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL! Been there done that?? [​IMG]

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    OK...I give. Where are the mushrooms? All I see is an adorable puppy and pretty gals?

10. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    [​IMG] Having a major league problem uploading pictures. Here are said mushrooms. It's the best I can do for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by