mushroom question...

sushifish

Songster
9 Years
These little mushrooms are growing in my yard... My chickens free roam during the day, does anyone know if these should be a concern? I also have dogs and cats - I don't possess good mushroom identification.
Any insight?

I think these are all the same type of mushroom in various states of growth. But I don't really know.
Help!

Those would be VERY popular among certain segments of our society. Those are Liberty Caps aka psychedelic shrooms.
cool.png

Imp- in Renton
frow.gif

btw- I think you are right, all the same mushroom, the big one is really large for LCs.

All the same, even experts tell you it's important to positively ID the mushroom if it is to be consumed. Many closely resemble each other. I'd take it in to someone who is experienced in I.D.ing these just to be safe. This site has a lot of info on it and talks about psychedelics but I would not take the chance.
http://americanmushrooms.com/lawnandgarden.htm

Seriously?!?!? Why are they growing in my lawn?

I don't know if you know that...
But do you know if there is a way I can get rid of them (besides picking them out by hand or using a pesticide)?
Fungicides don't work well on mushrooms, since the organism lives underground, the cap is the fruiting part of the mycelia (mushroom "plant") They just come back.
Thatching, aerating, allowing a breeze and drying out the lawn help. They usually are living on decaying wood, even if you can't see it. Sometimes eliminating stumps and other wood helps too

They are growing in your lawn because the conditions are right. It's kind of a 'they just are'.

l do have to draw back on the ID a bit. There are lots of LBMs (little brown mushrooms) and several that look like Liberty Caps. Liberty Caps do not like cut grass like lawns, they prefer tall grasses.

Imp

ETA- To answer your question. I don't think there is much danger to your chickens.

Last edited:
the libary can help two sets of eyes are better than one, theres loads of sites if you type fungas theres a a list of them and pikkies to.the chicken shouldnt eat it unnaturally its just incase they do by accident int it really.

Back
Top Bottom