mushroom soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by h4ppy-chris, Dec 20, 2011.

1. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    about 25 years ago i went for tea with a friend to her sisters and the starter was mushroom soup it was yummy the best i had ever tasted in my life.
    i asked for the recipe but was told it was a family recipe and sorry but no you can't have it [​IMG]
    does any one have a real good recipe for mushroom soup?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I would love one as well, bump [​IMG]

3. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    This is how I make mine, it takes a while but the time is largely unattended. I like doing this on a cold day when I can stay in. Sorry there are no cooking times or temperatures. This is a dish I usually just throw together.

2 -3 lbs of Portobella mushrooms, roughly chopped (when I can I use a mix of bella, nonsense, or any other in season wild mushrooms)
    1 large onion, chopped finely
    3 cloves garlic peeled, whole (or more to taste)
    Fresh Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, to taste
    Olive Oil, enough to grease the veggies
    salt and pepper to taste

1 quart of stock (vegetable for a vegan dish, I use a combo of beef and chicken)
    1 pint of heavy cream
    Splash of Sherry (Optional)

Clean the mushrooms using a dry cloth or towel and combine with the chopped onion, garlic, the fresh herbs, and olive oil. Toss to combine and roast on a sheet in a hot oven (maybe about 400 degrees) until lightly browned and wilted (about 20 mins).

After the veggies are done roasting, combine in a saucepan with the stock and cream. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Add a splash of Sherry (only the good stuff, no 'cooking' sherry. I recommend Amotillado). Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

4. suezqz_64

Dec 8, 2011
    This is how I make mine, it takes a while but the time is largely unattended. I like doing this on a cold day when I can stay in. Sorry there are no cooking times or temperatures. This is a dish I usually just throw together.

2 -3 lbs of Portobella mushrooms, roughly chopped (when I can I use a mix of bella, nonsense, or any other in season wild mushrooms)
    salt and pepper to taste

1 quart of stock (vegetable for a vegan dish, I use a combo of beef and chicken)
    1 pint of heavy cream

Clean the mushrooms using a dry cloth or towel and combine with the chopped onion, garlic, the fresh herbs, and olive oil. Toss to combine and roast on a sheet in a hot oven (maybe about 400 degrees) until lightly browned and wilted (about 20 mins).

After the veggies are done roasting, combine in a saucepan with the stock and cream. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Add a splash of Sherry (only the good stuff, no 'cooking' sherry. I recommend Amotillado). Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

5. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    Quote:now that sounds good suezqz_64 [​IMG]
    keep them coming [​IMG]

6. suezqz_64

Dec 8, 2011

salt and pepper to taste

1 pint of heavy cream

7. suezqz_64

Dec 8, 2011
    Well you did say, to keep them coming. [​IMG] Sorry about the triplex posting.

I've also toyed with the idea of throwing some roasted mushrooms into french onion soup for extra yumminess.

8. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    your on to a winner with the roasted mushrooms onion and garlic. i have just put that in the oven to have a go at the mushroom soup, it has filled the house with fantastic smells hummmm [​IMG] i bet it will be good on a pizza covered with cheese [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] my son as just run down the stairs saying dad what you cooking is it ready [​IMG]

10. suezqz_64

Dec 8, 2011
    I hope your soup came out well! Roasted mushrooms, onion and garlic, food of the gods. Also lovely on toasted bread with some cheese... I'm thinking Swiss. mmmmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by