Mushrooms in yard, OK to eat?

alfalfachick

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
9
1
9
Alfalfa (Central Oregon)
My chicks were out today and I noticed they were fighting over something in our yard. They were eating the mushrooms coming up in the grass. Is that OK for them to eat? I am a newbie and it worries me that they may have gotten into something that isn't good for them!
Thanks for all your help!
 

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
4,654
56
251
Most mushrooms aren't seriously toxic but the handful that are could kill anything that eats them including chickens. Which is why if you don't know how to ID mushrooms you should avoid them and keep your animals away from them to the best of your ability. I know that's hard if you have free ranging animals or a large pen and usually chickens are pretty good at avoiding toxic stuff and durable if they do eat it but it would be best to attempt to get rid of any mushrooms within their reach or else have someone experienced ID them so you know how toxic they are.
 

Ohhhdear

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
360
11
111
West Michigan
Chickens usually have plenty of sense as to what's edible in their area and what is not, including mushrooms.
If you want a really good mushroom guide, get the DK book. Amazon.com has it.
 

dieselgrl48

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
1,076
5
149
Virginia
We have times where we get a lot of funky looking shroom's and spores here.We live in a damp bottom land etc. I researched on them about a year ago because We were getting these Huge thing's growing in lower field.The chicken's didnt eat there but the duck's and geese did.From what I read the basic's are if the gills are white not brown they are poisionous.But then again some varietie's that grow naturaly are safe to eat.Even Foxfire is safe to eat from what I read. Basicly We just went along and plucked the thing's up and burned them in case.I noticed this year some not many on hill next to big coop.Weird in hot sun and stuff.No birds at time to eat them so didnt bother with them.I know there is a severely toxic Asian variety but..Guess We dont have those here.Im just Cautious I guess .No Wild Mushroom soup for Me!
 

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
4,654
56
251
Chickens usually have plenty of sense as to what's edible in their area and what is not, including mushrooms.

Key word is usually. There was recently a thread on someone's chickens poisoning themselves by eating potato plants. It's entirely possible and probably more likely for young chickens to do it than adults who have figured out plenty of good things to eat so don't need to check the questionable ones.​
 

blondiebee181

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
1,237
66
178
Boise, ID
On a somewhat related note, my 2 two-week old Runner ducklings have decided that the fairy ring mushrooms in our yard are tasty. I picked a couple and did some research trying to figure out if they were poisonous or not, and most of the varieties I looked at were not sooo I'm hoping they are okay. I still try to discourage them from eating them, my chickens don't eat them. The mushrooms are small and light brown caps and gills.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom