Mushrooms OK to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 88sub4x4, Jan 23, 2017.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    I have a bunch of organic white mushrooms and was wondering if they are safe to give to the chickens?

2. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    It totally depends what kind of mushrooms they are. "Organic white" does not really identify them. For example, my store sometimes sells white Agaricus bisporus, the familiar white mushroom many people eat, but you know, the deadly Amanita virosa, also known as the "destroying angel", is also white and organic, although you would never see it for sale at a store - at least, I HOPE NOT. Are you feeding something you bought at a store, that was meant for human consumption, or are we talking about something growing in your yard or the forest etc?

If you are feeding something you bought at a store, that was meant for human consumption, you are safe. If you are feeding something growing out of your yard or the local field etc, and the only thing you know about it is that it's white, that may or may not be safe.

And in fact, animals can safely eat wild mushrooms that are not safe for human beings to eat. One of the things one learns, when collecting wild mushrooms, is that just because some animal was eating it, that does NOT mean it's safe for a person to eat! If you are talking about a wild mushroom growing somewhere out in the wild, I would caution you not to pick it or eat it, UNLESS you have the help of a very experienced person to help you with identification. If we are talking about something you bought at a store, that was meant for people, you are fine. [​IMG]

Sorry to be so cautious but I was not real clear what you meant.

1 person likes this.
  3. 88sub4x4

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry I wasn't more clear but that's all it said on the package. I bought them at costco. There's just too many for my wife to eat before they go bad so I figured I'd give some to the chickens if it was safe. Since they are human food I guess it's OK for them.

4. Zoomie

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Yeah, that should be just fine.

I have known people to just pick stuff out of the yard, with absolutely no clue what it was, that's why I am so careful... Mycology is a really fun hobby but you have to pay attention to tiny details and be extremely cautious.

5. 88sub4x4

Apr 10, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Well I gave them to the chickens and they had zero interest in them and wouldn't eat them. Lol.

6. Zoomie

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Bwahahaha! And after all that caring and concern to be sure they were safe! Ungrateful wretches! [​IMG]

7. VeggieGoneEggie

VeggieGoneEggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2017
    Land of Enchantment
    So funny!! Just searched around here for answers to this same question for my 5-day-old chicks (I feel like all I do all day now is google "can baby chicks eat ____?").

I haven't found any treats my chicks like. Not mealworms. Not smashed banana. Not lettuce. They picked at cilantro a bit but were largely underwhelmed.

I just brought home a leftover spinach salad, and chopped up a small amount of the spinach, cucumbers, and white mushroom. And they are going BONKERS and fighting over the little chunks of mushroom! It's hilarious. Glad to finally find something they love.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by