Mushrooms?

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Just had to see if it was ok if they had some mushroom treats.....

I didnt see it on the treat chart so I decided i'd make sure it was a-ok first.

Quote:
I dont know what kind they are; we got them at walmart. I guess their just regular eating mushrooms? I dont like mushrooms so I wouldnt know.....The brand was Montery.

LOL. No wild mushrooms grow around here......not really anyways.

Do chickens know enough to avoid poisonous plants and the 'bad' mushrooms?
I havne't done a mushroom patrol around to see if there are any growing in my yard and had planned to let them free range some each day.
will they eat anything or will they avoid things that are bad for them?

I was told by a vet that mushrooms arent a good idea. Although she was talking about ones growing in my yard.. not storebought. I know they are toxic for dogs, I pick them when I see them to prevent my dogs from getting them and though I could just throw them to the chickens but she said not to and to just toss them.

Nancy

Quote:
Generally, yes. Poisonous plants usually taste bitter so the bird learns not to eat them.

I personally wouldn't. Chickens are sensitive to fungal and mold infections, and seeing as a mushroom is a fungus... I don't think it would be a good idea. Plus, I have mushrooms growing around my coops, the birds have never expressed any interest in them.

Mine get mushroom trimmings and stems from my cooking all the time. Never a problem, and they like them.

I agree, I wouldn't give them wild mushrooms unless you know they are a safe variety.

My girls are picky i guess. They wont eat them as table scraps so i dont really offer them anymore. I would be cautious of anything "wild" around for your girls to eat though.

Thanks everybody for the replies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom