Mushrooms

sidney

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
40335_wr_1st_egg_and_mushroom_2-2-11_004.jpg
I caught my chicken eating a wild mushroom today. Can they tell what is poisonous or not? This was a beige bulbulous mushroom. Look
40335_wr_1st_egg_and_mushroom_2-2-11_004.jpg
ed like a fat ear. I pulled them all out an threw them in the garbage. She was pecking on it about 3 hours ago. Still looks okay.

I tried to download the picture so I hope it came accrossl

Last edited:
Quote:
Could you post a pic of it? I would think she should be fine, but maybe you should check on her every once in a while just to be sure.

Last edited:
I posted a picture. This is the bottom of the mushroom with some dirt attached to the root. The top looks the same except it has a hole in the middle. My chicken is okay still.

Generally chickens are (surprisingly) sensible enough to stay away from toxic plants. That's not a hard and fast rule written in stone, but usually they are smart enough to avoid poisonous plants.

The mushroom was fresh when she was eating it. I picked them all up and threw them away. She's fine now except for an episode when my dog get into their yard area and chased them all over the yard. All the chickens came back to their coop. I'm missing a Jersey Giant but I think she is hiding.

Thanks to all for the help. I found my Jersey Giant and my little Barred Rock is fine. All's well.

Back
Top Bottom