Mushy chick disease - does it spread?

Jul 30, 2021
I posted about one of my chicks who seemed to have something attached to her vent. I realized that it was actually the yolk sac attached to her navel. Now it is just looks like a stump of dried blood. We washed it with iodine a few times, and it looks a little better than yesterday. However, her belly is very swollen. I am worried it is mushy chick disease, which I just heard about after doing some research. I know there isn't a cure (I may try oregano oil), but I am mostly worried that it spread to the other chicks. I can't seem to find much information about if it spreads. In my ignorance, I touched her belly/ navel area then handled the other chicks without washing my hands. Will the other chicks get it?

If your chick hatched before fully absorbing the yolk sac that leaves it wide open to infection, not only because of the 'wound' but because the yolk provides a lot of nutrients and antibodies to the chick. You could try giving her antibiotics to help with the infection, but she's got an uphill battle either way, and if she does survive she'll likely have a weak immune system.

It's very unlikely to pass the infection from one to chick to another by handling since the infection is mostly internal on the sick chick and hopefully your other chicks' navels are closed. If another chick becomes sick it's likely from a contaminated environment in the incubator.

I posted about one of my chicks who seemed to have something attached to her vent. I realized that it was actually the yolk sac attached to her navel. Now it is just looks like a stump of dried blood. We washed it with iodine a few times, and it looks a little better than yesterday. However, her belly is very swollen. I am worried it is mushy chick disease, which I just heard about after doing some research. I know there isn't a cure (I may try oregano oil), but I am mostly worried that it spread to the other chicks. I can't seem to find much information about if it spreads. In my ignorance, I touched her belly/ navel area then handled the other chicks without washing my hands. Will the other chicks get it?
Please post current photos of the chick and her navel.

Is she drinking and eating at all?

Here's your thread from Thursday, the navel was not healed, but let's see what it looks like now. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-attached-to-shell-prolapsed-vent.1558509/

Back
Top Bottom