Mushy chick disease in 5 day old chick - any hope?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spatulagirl, Mar 24, 2012.

1. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I have a little Silkie that hatched on Tuesday. I only got two chicks out of an original 24 eggs and so I am really hoping she can make it.

Today I noticed she was sort of falling over, twisted and couldn't get back up again, like her belly was holding her down. I picked her up and noticed her abdomen is swollen and her butt is all crusty between her navel and her vent like she is covered in poop but it isn't poop. Then I noticed she has a black scab where her navel is.

So I searched this forum and figured out she probably has Mushy chick disease or ompahliti[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s.[/FONT]

What I can't figure out is if I can treat it or not. Some have mentioned that they have had chicks recover from it but no treatment plans have been suggested. I have her in a little bowl inside the brooder, with water and molasses and a bit of food. I can't seem to find any Neosporin in the house but I had some first aid cream in the car first aid kit and put some on her navel.

I think I can go to Southern States tomorrow and get her vitamins and iodine to clean her navel with. Anything else I can do? Antibiotics? I also read she needs to sleep and sleep and heal, which is why she is in her little bowl (with a screen on top) so she can see the other chicks but get some rest.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    There is no specific treatment, antibiotics rarely work because you do not know what kind of bacteria there is. Your best bet would be to keep her warm and make sure she is eating and drinking.
    Good Luck!

3. spatulagirl

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Thanks. I have her separated but this morning she can barely stand. It isn't looking good. I feel helpless that there isn't anything I can do. I hate losing animals.

4. spatulagirl

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    DH just went and put her out of her misery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by