Mushy chick? Newborn Duckling with very wet poo and lethargic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WolfGirlMagic, Jul 17, 2019.

1. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    The last duck to hatch is causing me concern.
    Her navel was not completely healed, not horrible looking though. I put antibiotic cream on it and into a little bowl in the incubator on a clean wash cloth. Well she has not perked up much, and she has had very wet yellowish poop.
    Is this a red alert situation. Should I be doing anything else (I have nutridrench, and chick probiotics on hand.)
    Should I try to get her to drink water? (She is still in the incubator drying with the other late hatches.)
    Another chick had the same problem, and is out in the brooder now running around like a hooligan.

Raenh likes this.
  2. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    I do have injectable fast acting penicillin. But with a day old chick o think that might be a very bad idea....
    I'd just hate to lose it!

Raenh likes this.
  3. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    Can you post a pic? Sometimes chicks hatch with open navels (I've had it happen to me). The navel may close up on its own depending on how open it is

Raenh and WolfGirlMagic like this.
  4. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Here is a photo.
    I have been putting antibiotic ointment on it every 3 hours. (As a preventative.) I use silver sulfiadiazine as it worked on several VERY nasty to the bone injuries that were already infected.

Attached Files:

Raenh and FowlWitch like this.
  5. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    When did she hatch? I'd try to keep her separate but within eyesight of her hatchmates and give it some time to heal up. I can't comment on the sulfiadiazine, though, as I have no experience with it

6. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    She hatched at about 12:30am. I think it looks "okay", and not infected at the moment?
    Okay, I will separate her.

7. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    That will probably closed up by tomorrow if my experience is anything to go by. If you separate her, make sure she can still see the other chicks :) She'll probably be okay

8. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Thank you so much!

Raenh likes this.
  9. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    No problem, I hope I helped and that your chick does well :)

10. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    It put me at ease a little more. I'm a worry wort and second guess a lot. Haha.
    I hope so too! I will keep you updated!

Raenh and FowlWitch like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: