Mushy chick? Newborn Duckling with very wet poo and lethargic.

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
The last duck to hatch is causing me concern.
Her navel was not completely healed, not horrible looking though. I put antibiotic cream on it and into a little bowl in the incubator on a clean wash cloth. Well she has not perked up much, and she has had very wet yellowish poop.
Is this a red alert situation. Should I be doing anything else (I have nutridrench, and chick probiotics on hand.)
Should I try to get her to drink water? (She is still in the incubator drying with the other late hatches.)
Another chick had the same problem, and is out in the brooder now running around like a hooligan.

I do have injectable fast acting penicillin. But with a day old chick o think that might be a very bad idea....
I'd just hate to lose it!

Can you post a pic? Sometimes chicks hatch with open navels (I've had it happen to me). The navel may close up on its own depending on how open it is
Here is a photo.
I have been putting antibiotic ointment on it every 3 hours. (As a preventative.) I use silver sulfiadiazine as it worked on several VERY nasty to the bone injuries that were already infected.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_221236.jpg
    IMG_20190717_221236.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 18
Here is a photo.
I have been putting antibiotic ointment on it every 3 hours. (As a preventative.) I use silver sulfiadiazine as it worked on several VERY nasty to the bone injuries that were already infected.
When did she hatch? I'd try to keep her separate but within eyesight of her hatchmates and give it some time to heal up. I can't comment on the sulfiadiazine, though, as I have no experience with it

She hatched at about 12:30am. I think it looks "okay", and not infected at the moment?
Okay, I will separate her.

Back
Top Bottom