Mushy hard boiled egg white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenniferCNY, Sep 5, 2016.

1. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Today I hard boiled 4 fresh eggs (3 from today, 1 from yesterday, not refrigerated). I did it the easy peel way (put eggs in boiling water, then ice bath, then peel, always works like a charm). Today 3 of the 4 eggs had mushy whites. I know they were cooked thoroughly. It wasn't the white sticking to the shell. The whites were just mushy almost all the way down to the yolk. There was a good layer of firm white next to the yolk. This has happeed once before to me. I usually fry the eggs and haven't noticed anything off when I make them that way.

I did try searching, but just came up with whites sticking to shell when peeling, which isn't the issue here.

Thanks for any insight!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Fresh eggs have lots of moisture. It's best to let them sit a few days to weeks before hard boiling so some of the moisture evaporates.

1 person likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I once boiled an obviously thin shell egg and the white was mushy. I assume that on this one, water absorbed thru that shell. We occasionally get a defective shell like that.

4. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    Thanks! I will try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by