mushy heart

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by onthespot, Aug 30, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I had a roo reduction today and one of the bigger marans cockerels had looked less active lately, sometimes not 100% steady on his feet etc... so he made the hit list. When I pulled the innards out I was shocked to find his heart muscle was so mushy it was almost like a rotten grape. I can't for the life of me figure out how it pumped blood! Have any of you ever seen that before? His comb color was okay, deep salmon pinkish, not blue, not red like you might like. Any insights? Thanks.

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I lost the largest 12 week old CX pullet being kept back as a breeders and noted the same heart condition you describe . In her case , it appeared she filled up her crop with a large load on her once daily feeding of dry crumbles then dropped dead at the waterer . [ I now feed wet mash and there is no longer the mad dash to the waterer after they eat . ] The pullet also had a gizzard so large I was slow to recognize it . From what little I know the weak , flabby heart is that its a condition often associated with over-sized specimens of nearly every species as well as a genetic flaw known in some breeds or bloodlines of many domestic animals . Her comb was blueish in death , but had been the same pale or fleshy pink color as the other pullets and she was able to run pretty good for a CX . She dropped dead with the crop and gizzard completely full but intestines completely empty .

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Interesting, I have no insights but hoping to see more from others

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    SteveH, thanks for your post. This cockerel was BIG from day one, so that is consistent with your findings too... Hmmmm.... live and learn I guess. At least I got to put him in the freezer instead of the trash can... [​IMG]

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:I didn't eat my CX because she wasn't bled out immediately ; but she was soaked in water for a few hours , quartered , and fed to my dogs .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by