Music in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bjcoop, Nov 24, 2007.

1. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Tonight as I was doing a check of the coop and girls I decided for a change to turn on the radio. WOW. You woulda thought it was the morning wake up call. Everyone jumped off the roost--Eating, drinking, carrying on. Even my roo (a sweetheart who is somewhat timid) got in on the action. since it is very cold (low 20s) Ive been turning on the heatlamp for my very naked deli. She even jumped down. Finally had to shut off the radio to get them to settle for the night.
    Does anyone else use a radio in the coop. [​IMG] Mine seem to like country.
    --bjcoop

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have used a radio in the coop for years. Its on 24/7. Grandpa used to say it helps keep predators away...because of the voices. A guy my hubby works with....said last summer...."your chickens listen to NASCAR?" I said..." yup...they listen to whatever comes on the radio(country station)"
    He was trying to tell me....get this....count the eggs from day to day....and add the numbers..to find out who will win the next race!?? I was [​IMG] Sooo hard. ( he is a bit of a redneck!) LOL Hmmm, wonder if it will work on the lottery???

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We have a radio that we plug in everyday when they go outside in their pen but it is more for protection than listening pleasure. Although they do listen to country music, I think they like a change to classic rock once in a while. [​IMG]

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My coop is shared by chickens ducks and a couple goats that get night penned. When I am working on cars and turn on the radio they all come out (hard and classical rock) They seem to enjoy it. My billy even seems less aggresive with music playing. If he sees me outside and I am not letting him out of the run quick he usually tears the gate up unless the radio is on.

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Before our coop was finished being built and the chickens were smaller and still living in our garage in their big double brooder box. My husband would have the radio on for them all the time at night. At some point he had moved a TV out there and would watch it as he was working on stuff and the cute little chickens would hop on the side of the box to watch it with him. I felt like they were getting way to much stimulations, but felt like it did help keep preditars away. They really seemed to enjoy the music and always eventually settled down and went to sleep. I kept saying I was going to put one in the coop, but never did once they moved in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by