musical chairs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Nov 22, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    how do your animals pair up in the barnyard? and does it change throughout the day?

like, my duck starts his day with the girl goats. will fake eat hay beside them. then, when the real food eating starts, hogs in on the chickens and takes over. then the geese come over on him but he doesn't defer. then he and geese take nap together. then back with goats. then before dark, sort of a free for all. by the end of the night, there are two chickens who have flown in the tree, three in the brush pile, two geese next to a bucket of water, two goats and a duck on my porch and a billy goat and dog sleeping in together.

2. KaoticKritters

KaoticKritters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2007
    Franklinton,ky
    Don't have any pics of it but we have a wild kitten that has taken up with one of our peacocks that sleeps with him in his loft

3. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG] i love it. that is totally mine kind of thing.

when my family comes over, and if the geese are being too loud, one goat will stand between them and the visitors being protective. she does the same with the duck. she is not the strongest by any means but she is the queen of the barnyard.

i think i am most surprised at the interspecies relationships that develop. things that people tell me "can't" happen but do.

a cat and a peacock is just toooooooooooooooo cute. i will remember that for the rest of the day.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I had a horse named Handsome growing up. The neighbor had chickens and one of their leghorns must have flown the coop because Handsome ended up with a new friend! Wherever he was standing, the chicken was with him, either perched on the fence or pecking under his feet. I would feed him some grain after a hard workout, and the chicken would enjoy the stuff he dropped on the ground.
    My chickens now don't go near the horses! My mare is a little too curious for their liking. [​IMG]

5. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    my chihuhuas have never done this, but i was told by the person who birthed them that their mom used to jump up and ride the horses! a chihuahuah.

i love your chicken story. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by