Muskovy baby injury

Gmilojev

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
Hi there. We have two Muskovy babies that are about three weeks old. I noticed one has an open wound on the back end of her tail it is raw. I was able to put Polysporin on the wound and noticed afterwards at the other baby picked at it but was not impressed with the Polysporin so hopefully he won’t pick at it again. Is there something more I can do?

Keep an eye on them. It is possible that the other duckling caused the injury. It may be necessary to separate them with a see through barrier.

Can you post a pic? Most likely feather picking as muscovies tend to do that. How big is the set up? I sprayed a tiny bit of blue kote on a paper towel and dabbed it on the area when it happened to my ducklings. It seemed to stop the picking. But, if it continues, separating as suggested above would be best until it heals.

Can you post a pic? Most likely feather picking as muscovies tend to do that. How big is the set up? I sprayed a tiny bit of blue kote on a paper towel and dabbed it on the area when it happened to my ducklings. It seemed to stop the picking. But, if it continues, separating as suggested above would be best until it healthy

Thanks for your suggestions. I think the polysporin did the trick, the other baby got a mouth full of it when she tried to pick and within a day it pretty much healed up. Like I said their about 3 weeks old, I have them together with the mom separated from another male and female because the male and female are constantly trying to pick at them through the chicken wire. It has me a bit concerned that once all together it will be a problem but I’m hoping soon they will get used to them being around. We are first time parents so I’m not sure what to do

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom