Muskovy DRake injured, Is there anything else I should do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenGirl 19, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    My Muskovy drake got caught between chicken wire and their coop. He was injured, the little thumb thing's tips were gone, and his wing was raw in some places. Worst was his back toe and claw had been partially ripped off. Needless to say, it's blocked off now. We didn't have any duck medicine, but a lot of horse medicine. WE put this purple stuff for pink eye and injuries on his wings, and flour and polysporin on his toe, (it was bleed quite badly) before putting vetwrap on. He is in a small dog carrier in the coop right now, about 1 1/2 the size of him. In the morning we will check on him.

Sorry for wall of text!

Is there anything we need to do or did wrong? I love him dearly, and really hope he gets better.

2. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    *The thumb things on the wing

3. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Please, Is there anything I should do? I'm desperate....

4. sherrik9

sherrik9 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Lake Tapps, WA
    I use vetricine (can't remember how to spell this) and antibiotic ointment. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Hope he is better soon. Also add electrolyte with vitamin to his water.

5. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Thank you! I'll get the electrolytes and vitamins tomorrow. Should I get the water infused with it for babies?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you have a feed store or TSC close by you can get electrolytes and vits there or plain pedialyte will work. How is he this morning? they are amazing animals and most likely will be back to his old self in no time. [​IMG]

7. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    This morning me and my friend moved him to a horse stall, which had a bit more room. We replaced the bandage and added more polysporin. It had quite a bit of dried blood, but was not bleeding. WE then put the purple stuff on his wings, although it was hard to see weather they healed or not. He can walk slowly with to vetwrap, even though it is holding his toes togeather. When we replace it again tonight, Should I wash his foot? I'll post pics of him later today.
    Edited for typos

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can put him into water he will probably clean himself, can you bring him inside and put him in warm water? if not a kids pool would be good. if that won't work just soaking his foot and washing his wing would be okay use some epsom salt and warm water. it a good healer, but don't let him drink it it's a laxative. be careful when using vet wrap not to cut off his circulation. One thing about letting him wash himself is if you were to rub too hard it may start up bleeding again, if he does it he'll just be rinsing.

9. ChickenGirl 19

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    In a few minutes I will do that. WE went to two stores today, but couldn't find the vitamins and electrolytes. On tuesday there will be time to try at two other stores, but they are an hour or so away so we can't go today or tomorrow. I'm waking up at 6:30 tomorrow to check on him before school. Wish him luck!

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I recently had a gosling that ripped off one of it's toenails (completely down to the quick) after getting caught in some fencing. I cleaned it, put styptic powder on and kept him penned overnight and then limited the area that they had access to (he was limping a bit) for a few days. It is doing well now after a week of so.

It sounds like you have done well by your duck. Is he eating and acting himself (at least to some degree)? If you are having a hard time finding the vitamins, try the pedialyte as suggested. Any drug or large discount store should have it. I know some people even just give diluted gatorade to get eletrolytes into them.

If he is not bleeding, I would say leave it uncovered as long as he is somewhere that you can keep relatively clean. As long as he is eating and drinking, give him some time to recover and I think he will do fine. Since he is away from his flock, watch the reintroduction as even a day away can cause a problem with flock dynamics.

And [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by