Muskovy hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by etush, Mar 12, 2017.

1. etush

etush Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    hi. i am new and would like to ask a question. we had a Muscovy hen that was sitting on her eggs for 2 whole weeks and just left for a little wile in the morning and in the evening to eat swim etc . when she left for her break she covered the nest with her feathers. 5 days days ago she disappeared . the nest was covered with her feathers like she went to one of her breaks but one egg was broken and totally empty. (there are probably another 15 eggs there) would you know why wouldn't she come to sit anymore? are they sometimes desert their nest in the middle of brooding?
    thank you
    btw i feed the ducks near our lake with cracked corn. is there anything i can give them? we have few injured one.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Either a predator got her or something scared her off the nest. Is she gone for good? or just stopped sitting on her nest.

Try feeding the ducks at the lake a mixture of feed like and all flock and cracked corn, cracked corn on it's own is like giving candy to children it hasn't much nutritional value but will help keep them warm over night because of the carb content. As for the injured do you have a water fowl rescue close by? If not you might look up Carolina water fowl rescue and they maybe able to help you locate someone in your area who could help the injured ducks.

Bless you for caring. @etush

1 person likes this.
  3. etush

etush Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    thank you for your answer.
    i think i saw her the other day. i think she just stop sitting on the eggs. maybe something got to the one egg so she decided not to go back? but since than nobody got the other eggs, so i was thinking (might be stupid), that she realize that the eggs are not fertile? she is very young hen. she just hatched on June.
    i do give the ducks my parrots leftover food which is a chop (all healthy veggies and healthy grains) and birdie bread, so if they choose to , they will eat healthy :) i really prefer that they will look for food by them selves because its better for their survival and maybe one day i will move from here and i dont want them to be too depended on me. so breakfast and dinner they get some corn to start the day and before they go to sleep.
    regarding the injured: we have here in SE FL great lady that have a duck rescue calls Duck Heaven . she has like 50 ducks in her small back yard. they are severely injured. i have notice that those cute Muscovy are very strong . there were few times that i thought of taking injured duck to the rescue but i hesitated for few days which was a very good thing, because they all manage to get by and stay in their natural environment. its better for them to stay around their habitat and friends and the place they know. one of them has broken wing and she is also blind in one eye, but as i said luckily i was hesitating to take her to the rescue and she she is back to swim and come to eat every day and hang out with the other hens and they boys mostly stop bothering her and the other day i even saw her "threatening" another duck.
    few of them were limping and it pass after few weeks and one had a broken leg (totally twisted) and with him i was so close to take him to an avian vet and the rescue. to my surprise after horrible two weeks he is now only limping slightly and it looks as his situation become better and better every day. so i am telling people not to hurry and take them to the rescue place because there they cant fly over there and the conditions are not as great as it is here near the lake.
    i just really wonder about the hen we had, if they just decided to leave the nest and move on.
    thanks

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's wonderful for the water fowl they have someone like you to look after them.

It could have been the duck who was brooding got scared off the nest and usually they will not go back if they feel threatened. From having Muscovy's since 2004 I have never had one of mine abandon a nest once they get started. They are very dedicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by