Muskovy lovers help me identify this colour and pattern!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tlb796, Dec 8, 2010.

1. tlb796

tlb796 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    Hello fellow Muskovy people! I have a young drake that appears to be brownish/variagated. The strangest part is he and his sister of the same colour/pattern
    were hatched from what I would call black/pied. I did notice this fall that the hen (his mother) almost seemed to molt out to a bronze undercoat/feather.
    I really thought she (and her sis) were either turning brown (strange brown colour though) or were sun bleached. In the same batch of chicks I also
    had a male amd female black/barred hatch. I would post a picture but can't find my cord for my camera. [​IMG] Any ideas?
    Sorry not a whole lot of info:oops:
    Tamera
    I will try to post picts soon.

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

It's hard to understand what you mean by variegated, a picture would be great so hopefully you can find that cord, lol. Are they different shades of chocolate? or are they like chocolate & blue looking?

3. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I have find that choc. can be in a black and will not know it until you breed them with something that bring it out...so maybe your older female had choc. in her....I have not breed the chocs. long, but I will breed them for life now I love them....

4. tlb796

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    By variegated I mean mostly brown with white or off white lines running across the feather.

5. tlb796

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    The man who bought the female of the same colour/pattern said they were ripple. But that doesn't really explain the colour.
    I would almost call the colour bronze. Nothing like the brown that I ussually see in muskovies. Are there any peculiarities about ripple
    that I don't know about? Do they breed true?

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    There is 'wild type' black, which until the young bird moults out is usually seen as brownish/black feathers on the breast and sometimes elsewhere. It IS still black pied.

Perhaps what you're seeing is a barred wild type black.

Here's one of my young wild type blacks from the 2010 hatch season.

[​IMG]

Without a picture it's hard to say, though. [​IMG]

7. tlb796

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    I promise to work on those picts....[​IMG] He is possitively not barred. My barred all lost their barring on top after they molted.
    He has remained the same.

8. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    Does he look at all like my wild type? Mine is also not a barred. The patterning on the chest is NOT barred, it's the wild type pattern.

9. tlb796

Mar 10, 2010
    Portland
    No doesn't look like that at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by