MUST corner posts of wire fence have special supports?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmc, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i have a 60" hi, 2x4 mesh perimeter fence, held up w/ T posts. i just have plain old t posts all around, but read recently that sort of putting additional braces or even using 4x4 is the way to do corner posts (cuz of the unique stresses they get, i assume)
    is this what you all do, or...........................i can certainly see the rationale, and will probably add some supports of some kind
    thanks to y'all

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Without supports, the fence will not last as long and will start to "sag" or fold inward in places. The extra effort to put in the supports will be worth it. I'm speaking from experience. [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup.

Won't last nearly as long or as well without them. There are various ways to do it, the better ways are harder to retrofit than the less-good ways but ANYthing is worth doing, IMHO.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I am speaking specifically of the CORNER POSTS. is that what you two good repliers also were referring to? just wanna make sure.

i can easily pull out the corner posts. suppose i were to replace them with a 4x4 sunk 2 ft. in the ground. i don't wanna put anything in concrete, cuz then when i have to replace the corner posts from rot or something, i'll be in a real fix.

i do hope at least you, pat, are still with me............

thanks, btw

5. gbeauvin

gbeauvin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Quote:I could be mistaken, but I think a 4x4 corner post sunk in the ground is *way* more likely to rot out than one anchored properly in concrete... the dirt-on-wood I think causes badness to occur that doesn't happen with concrete...

-GB (who offers some salt with his "advice", as he's never built a fence (though he paid someone else to build one once) and has not yet built a coop/run either)

6. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Think about using a regular wooden fence post. With a lot of stress, many are then braced by board going diagonal to the ground. A "T" post isn't going to hold up long.

7. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, I'm talking about the corners.

If you can easily replace your t-post corners with pressure-treated 4x4s sunk at least 2 1/2 ft (3' or 3 1/2' is really noticeably better, just more work) then I would by all means do so.

I would NOT concrete them in. Although it may seem intuitively appealing that posts embedded in concrete should rot more slowly, in reality the opposite is generally true. Because the concrete does not let the underground part of the post dry out -- it stays maximally-wet -- and experience suggests that concreted-in posts are MORE apt to rot off, right at ground level. And faster. And be a huge pain in the neck once they do, since you have to remove all that concrete to put in a new post [​IMG] I strongly suggest using just a regular p/t post sunk in the soil, with the soil tamped in very hard every 4" or so as you are filling the hole back in.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. gbeauvin

gbeauvin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    Quote:Learn something new every day!

-GB

9. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Pat, about the collar rot. yeah, that is the danger of sinking in concrete. have seen that meself! that seals it. i'm doing the pt post maybe even four feet deep.

i'm gonna ask about bracing that sometime too...................
    you're all great and happy fourth (but not to you, Pat [​IMG] [​IMG] )

10. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Hey, I'm an American citizen, didn't move to Canada til I was in my late 30s, I think I qualify for having a great and happy 4th of July too [​IMG]

(although our local fireworks were of course three days ago on Canada Day)

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by