Must each breeding scovy hen have her OWN coop?

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Will have drakes live separately from hens--at least from like, March to Oct.
Plan on keeping hens in separate breeding pens with her own nesting and rearing coop.

BUT IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE EACH HEN WITH HER OWN PRIVATE NESTING AND REARING COOP? Could two share one peaceably--assuming of course, both were going into production at the same time.....

The above seems a bit overcomplicated. I know some who have hens lay and rear together in a barn type set up, even hens take care of each others' ducklings. BUT I DON'T HAVE A BARN TYPE SET UP.

SOOOOOOOOOO, Could I get away with maybe building a 4 x 4 and put TWO hens in the breeding pen with that nesting and rearing coop in it FOR BOTH OF THEM.

I know I could, obviously. But I want your experienced input.

MY CURRENT PLAN IS TO HAVE A SEPARATE 2 X 3 NESTING AND REARING COOP FOR EACH HEN. Easier to build one larger one than two smallish ones.

Thoughts appreciated.

ETA:

My main coop is only 3 x 6, where all four hens will sleep at night--without drakes. I can't imagine that could be used--to small.......

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to provide individual facilities for setting hens. Mine set/coexist with other hens and a drake.
The girls are quite protective of their nests and usually others steer clear of the nests even when the hens get off to feed or bathe.
I have some hens that "co-set".
See photo on my websites Muscovy page.
I have one box that is big enough for 2 hens to set in. They each have their own pile of eggs. Its kind of funny...they will sometimes steal eggs from each other but I always set the eggs at the same times so it doesn't matter.
Side note...its amazing how many eggs they can cover. Up to 15-20.

Thanks V!

I wonder how two hens would do raising young in a coop that is only 3 x 6 (18 sq. ft.) That is what I have to offer them.

And what about if only one hen has eggs at one time? Will the other 'spinster' hen cause any problems I wonder???????

I can't believe no one else can offer any thoughts on this thread
sad.png

Quote:
This is the first that I came across this thread..

You might not like my thoughts, but here they are..

I would definately separate the ducks. all it takes is one little skirmish and you could have a lot of broken eggs.. just divide the area with a piece of plywood or chicken wire..

what I do is use dog shipping crates for hatching nests.. those plastic ones with the wire doors..

I have a half dozen of them..
I pick them up at rummage sales or wherever and have never paid more than $5 for one..

At night I close the door and the birds are safe from most predators... I have never lost an egg or a chick ..

during the day the birds can get out to eat and drink.. I keep saying birds because I use my cages for chickens, ducks, geese, guineas and turkeys..

I had one turkey who took over the dog's igloo dog house and hatched a batch..

jv........

The 'skirmish'...yes, that's partly why I was planning on separate coops.

The dog carrier sounds good as a nest box of sorts, but a bird can't rear her young in one--unless it was humungous (sp?) (though I may be wrong)

Hence the question about separate nesting AND REARING coops for each hen, as distinct from just a place to lay and set until hatch, which can be quite small.
Hen and brood will need to live in what I'm thinking of until the ducklings are old enough to go into the growing pens -- maybe one month. Inside each rearing coop will be a nesting/setting spot. Mother and ducklings will be allowed outside each day if they wish--separately from all others--and will be locked in nest/rearing coop every night

Back
Top Bottom