Must give away seven PET chickens-TX

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bionic_chicken, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I live in the county where chickens are perfectly legal. No, I didn't know that the Deed Restrictions in my subdivision were anything more than "suggestions". After all, fireworks aren't allowed by the Deed Restrictions, and off they go for hours on every holiday, and many other Deed Restrictions are consistently ignored. However, my husband just showed me the letter that the HOA sent...they are going to sue us. Our neighbor is relentless toward us...about everything. He is a huge ape of a man, but doesn't work, collects Workers Comp and sits in his fancy house, bored. Aside from the hurt feelings and the quibbling, the fate of my dear sweet birds is killing me. Please understand...I slept by their brooder for weeks when they were chicks. They have a $1500 coop and run. They are held and petted every single day. They are not spur-of-the-moment pets that we're now tired of. I just spent $450 on crop surgery to save Betsy. I love these animals dearly, and this is breaking my heart. We have agonized over this situation. I am turning to the forum for the possibility of pet-owners wanting to add one or seven more. These are very sweet, very tame, very loving chickens. Ten months old. A beautiful blue-laced amber EE (Hazel), what was supposed to be a white Rock, but is a gorgeous white Leghorn (Mary), a partridge rock (Ethylene), an SLW (Winnie), a light brahma (Brigitte), a black cochin (Lucy), a black Australorp (Betsy). If you have a friend or family member who wants to have a backyard flock of pets...these girls are ideal. They are all steadily laying and are so very sweet. Unfortunately, there are other problems in our family that also make this a necessity. I appreciate your consideration.

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I would tell them to shove it up their butts. The only thing that my HOA can do it put a lein on our house..... Oh well we will take the chickens when we leave!!

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm so sorry you have to part with your pets. [​IMG]

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh that's so sad! Some people are really mistakes, aren't they? I've had nicer dogs and cats than a lot of people out there.
    I'm in NJ, so can't pick them up. If you want to ship, let me know. Or if you know of anyone making a trip north, let me know. I've got 4 pens of chickens, ducks, guineas, and tweens of each....Lots more room too for more pens. (Shhh, don't tell my hubby. I have to ask for help once I've already started making a new pen and I get stuck. Then he comes out and helps... [​IMG])
    I hope you find great new homes for them or really win this battle and teach that jerk to mind his own business! I fear that same problem someday; not that I live in a neighborhood, but you never know.
    Lisa

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I wish I lived closer.

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Sorry to hear that...I could have helped a week ago. I have family in Pearland that came out here...[​IMG]...yet another reason I will never live with a HOA!!! My sister deals with them...I like doing my own thing way too much...SORRY!!

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    First off...what exactly does your HOA restrictions say? If it is livestock, they are poultry. If it is for production, you aren't selling commercially. Can you post exactly what statute you are "supposed" to be breaking?

Secondly...where is Spring, Texas? How far from Oklahoma? I might be interested, but I am more interested in making sure they aren't just trying to bully you. I lived in a HOA like that before. If there is a gray area, it falls under the city guidelines, they can't amend anything without notification and a vote of 70% of the homeowner's attending.

Good Luck!

Shelly

8. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I appreciate the well-wishes. I am willing to transport the girls...I don't know how far. They are Gulf Coast girls...would they freeze up north? I guess they could be kept warmish with a heat lamp the rest of the winter, then weaned off in the spring. Anyway, thanks for thinking of us.

Also, does anyone know why this post never showed up on the BYC homepage? I've PM'd the administrator, but no word yet.

And Shelly...I will try to come up with the exact wording of the "rule" I'm breaking...I appreciate your defense of me! And, yes, I believe there is a fair amount of unfair bullying going on. I will PM you with the verbage. Thank you so much for the support. Spring is a suburb of Houston...I could meet you, if need be. I have family in Abilene, TX. Anyway, when I get home tonight, I'll get the letter out and let you know.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I live out in the country near Sealy, so not that far from you! Your birds sound awesome, and you sound like a wonderful caring chicken-mama. My first instinct is to say ME, ME, ME...I'LL TAKE THEM!! You have breeds I'm already wanting to order! But my husband will probably look at me like I'm crazy. We are extremely new to chickens, and haven't finished the coop and run for own new fuzzies yet.

I hope you find a wonderful new home for your babies, but if you can't find anyone soon, keep me posted and maybe we could get things ready here pretty quick.

10. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    If TXmom caint take 'em, then I will if ya want...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by