Must Have List

Ashb0429

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
So I know we are barely in to fall but I know I’m not the only one who is already thinking about their must have chick list for next year!
What breeds are on your list and why?
Mine So Far Are:
Porcelain D’Uccles - We have one and she has been an excellent pet for the kids. Considering having a bantam coop of just a few hens to begin to train the kids in responsible animal care.

Speckled Sussex - Again we have one SS girl this year and she has been an all around great bird. Friendly, fun to watch, pretty, ok layer and great at free ranging but sticking close.

This year was my year for adding the breeds I wanted. I went overboard. I went from a large production flock of Cinnamon Queens with a few Welsummer and Cream Legbar for color (Cinnamon Queens by the way, lay an amazing spectrum of brown from Marans-like to pink) to a variety of very nice breeds.
I have:
Silverudd's Blue (aka Isbar)
French Black Copper Marans (keeping only one pair)
Barnevelder (only one pair)
Welsummer
Crested Cream Legbar
Araucana - pure
Lavender Orpingtons
and I discovered my Roo - possibly an Orpington- has some interesting genes so I'm breeding him to different hens

Next year I will start breeding for egg color, health and temperament in all my flocks but if I could add one it would be an Orpington variety. They have always been my favorite. I abandoned them to learn about other breeds but there is none better (the Araucana is a tie) and the more breeds I learn about, the more I love the Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom