Must whole oyster shells be crushed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MammaHen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    I get my oyster shells whole from the oyster company in town. Must I set to the oyster shells with a 4 pound hammer or leave as is and let them peck at them?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They can't very well eat them whole [​IMG] and are not going to have much success picking them apart. Even seagulls *drop* shells to break them [​IMG] Whack 'em to bits with a sledge; if you fold them up in some fabric or put them in an old pillowcase before whacking them, you will not lose the pieces [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    thats what i do! old pillow cases work the best....dont even try plastic bags...that was a mess! [​IMG]

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    We throw little neck clam shells into our dry wash, the chickens pick them up and carry them all over. Over time they break down, and they never seem to tire of pecking at them. If you are planning on them as a source of calcium, however, I'd crush them up.

5. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Perfect [​IMG] We just had friends over this past weekend and had 17 dozen oysters. I know what I will be sewing this weekend...a big pillow case.

6. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Thanks guys.. ok so maybe Im a little dim - thought they could peck away at the flaky bits.. [​IMG]

Thanks all xx

7. zelica

zelica Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Port Angeles
    Oh yay thanks for asking this one and all the answeres posted its time to make a beach run for oyster shells.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by