Mustard Greens Fail

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
I got a great deal on fresh mustard greens and bought several bags. After all, they look just like Collard greens which my geese adore.

Wrong answer. The geese wouldn't touch them. One bite and they spit them out and they are still laying out there on the ground in the goose pen.

Fortunately, ducks like spicy food and they gobbled the mustard greens down and looked for more. My rabbits ate them, too, after glaring at me and making disgusted faces at every bite.

So, I guess mustard greens are off the shopping list.

I got a great deal on fresh mustard greens and bought several bags. After all, they look just like Collard greens which my geese adore.

Wrong answer. The geese wouldn't touch them. One bite and they spit them out and they are still laying out there on the ground in the goose pen.

Fortunately, ducks like spicy food and they gobbled the mustard greens down and looked for more. My rabbits ate them, too, after glaring at me and making disgusted faces at every bite.

So, I guess mustard greens are off the shopping list.
I just bought mine some chopped beet greens and at first they just nibbled them but finally they all jumped in and ate them. Just my ducks and chickens though, my goose is so picky, he will eat romaine and w/w bread and thats about it except for his feed.

I get greens from my produce man that they are throwing out and I learned quickly that my geese didn't like the mustard greens. They will eat bokchoy if there isn't any thing else. They love almost any kind of lettuce. I live near a small town grocery and the people are very friendly and helpful. The produce is thrown out regularly sometimes even before the experation date. I found out that they also let farmers have any thing they throw away for the pigs. Just speak to the produce manager and tell him you are feeding it to your geese and ducks. I live between to towns and the larger town throws theirs away in a locked container. The manager there told me to come in at around 9 or 9:30 to collect what they are throwing for the day. In the smaller town they told me to just go help myself from the produce barrels they have in back by the garbage dumpsters. They take the barrels in and throw the produce in them as they put out fresh and then they take the barrels back out when they are done. The barrels are dumped in the dumpsters if the farmers haven't collected the contents for the pigs. One old farmer was going through the big dumpsters for food for his pigs one day when I went up. Apparently they throw away outdated frozen foods out as well as eggs and breads so he goes through all of it. He told me he saved a bundle on feed costs for his pigs. I just collect greens for my geese and that isn't as messy as what he collects. He gets fruit and potatoes as well as anything else they throw away. This is a wonderful way to recycle and keep the landfills from filling as fast! I do get some funny looks from some of the younger crowd when they come out back for their smokes but the produce men know what I am doing and I ignore the kids!

I tried turnip greens since they are plentiful in the South....they thumbed their nose at them. They certainly love romaine. (expensive taste!)

Has anyone tried lima beans or other green beans?

I tried turnip greens since they are plentiful in the South....they thumbed their nose at them. They certainly love romaine. (expensive taste!)

Has anyone tried lima beans or other green beans?

Haven't tried either of those 2 but my gander loves Romaine also. but I did find a mixed bag or organic greens at the store and gave them to my gander. ducks and chickens and I saw him nibbling on them. He is very picky.

I haven't offered green beans, but I grow snow peas for my birds. They get the entire plant, not just the pea pods, and they are crazy for them.

Mine love turnip greens and romaine, but they don't like collards or mustard greens. Picky, picky, but they're worth so it. I will never get tired of the way they all scream and run at me when they see the bag
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom