Mutant Monster eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Naturegirl44, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Naturegirl44

Naturegirl44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2013
    Powassan, Ontario
    My man Joe says the eggs are the beginning of the zombie apocalypse!! lol One of our hens has lay ed 2 monster eggs recently. Should we be concerned? We still don't know which one it is but someone said it could be one of our 2 new pullets who just started laying and that it may take awhile for the hen to settle into 'normal egg laying'.

Thoughts?

This is the first zombie apocalypse egg lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the monster egg she layed yesterday.

[​IMG]

Should i be worried?

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Completely normal for new layers to lay jumbo double yolkers. I've had about 6 of them.

3. Naturegirl44

Jun 11, 2013
    Powassan, Ontario
    good to know! thanks :)

4. MissAli

MissAli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Man! I hope we get some jumbo mutant eggs! Our girls are just starting to lay and all true eggs have been tiny (under 1.5 oz, (large eggs are around 2.25-2.5). While for their sake I'm glad their eggs are small a and normal I kinda wanted to see some fun variations.

5. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    zombie eggs~!

Probably double yolked. I'm jealous!

6. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    My buff orpington always lays monster eggs. On several occasions they hardly fit in the carton and I've been sure they were double yolkers, but no such luck. Your hen may just lay biggies. Celebrate your oversized bounty and enjoy them!

7. Naturegirl44

Jun 11, 2013
    Powassan, Ontario
    lol well she has layed 2 of the monster eggs now. the last one we couldn't close the carton and it wasn't a double yoker lol I just hope that she settles into her regular eggs again and these monster ones don't hurt her. Still rather new at being a chicken momma so i was worried at first :)

8. amberscave

amberscave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I have Pearl Leghorn that consistently lays double yolk, but only lays every other day! One I teased looked like an ostrich egg. Her "sister", pearl from same brood, lays the puniest white egg every day! LOL

9. Naturegirl44

Jun 11, 2013
    Powassan, Ontario
    I love chickens lol you just never know what your gonna get everyday!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by