Mutant or hybrid Canadians?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mary Of Exeter, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    So today going down the highway, I spot the usual Canada geese flock on the side of the road. But in that flock, I noticed one bird was much lighter colored than the rest. Had the darker head and neck, as well as the white cheeks, so it was for sure another Canadian. BUT, it was more of a light, creamy apricot looking color than the typical brown bodies of normal Canadians. Other than the odd body color, all markings were the same that I could tell. I really wish I wasn't on a highway so that I could've taken pictures [​IMG] Perhaps next time I go by, since they seem to be there every day eating.

Any ideas on this, or am I going cuckoo?

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I could be off my rocker but I am wondering if there is anyway it could have a gene abnormality .. like albino in humans, or Vitiligo

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Mutation my guess, it happen in all birds, but with wild birds it get lost. Just like a buff ringneck pheasant. Was a mutation someone saved

4. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
  5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    How cool! There are some really rare natural color mutations in Canada Geese. That is probably what it was. If you google "Leucistic Canada" or "Blonde Canada", you will find some images of some of the mutations. They are a pretty rare sight.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Oh heck there are 7 subspecies of the Canada Goose, 5 subspecies of the Cackling Goose that used to be considered part of the Canada Family because they look like Canadas and individual geese sometimes have differing colors. Both hybrids and mutants are known. So take you pick of theroies.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:Thanks! I'm not sure if it was the blonde, or the leucistic, but I'm thinking one or the other is definitely what I saw. Probably the leucistic, since it was enough difference to really catch my eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by