Mute Chick?

Myrshine

Songster
May 30, 2020
USA
Hello! I’m new to actually getting around to creating an account, but I’ve been using these forums for help with my chickies. I did notice that I couldn’t find anything about this particular problem- we had hatched 14 eggs a few days ago (3 or 4 days) and the last egg that hatched had a very bloody navel, so no big issue, I handled that and it’s good now, not bleeding anymore and navel is almost completely healed. This chick was chirping when it hatched, after a day or so in the brooder, it all of a sudden can’t make a noise? All it does is chirp out air not the actual sound. Other than not being able to chirp, it’s healthy, eating and drinking normally. I’ve checked the outside and inside of the beak and there’s nothing. What would cause this all of a sudden? And what could I do to fix it if that’s possible?

Something could be lodged in the larynx, but you usually hear a wheezing or whistling. If this is the cause of the muteness, it should work its way loose in a short time.

Another possibility is a slight respiratory infection. Watch for signs of the chick becoming lethargic, sneezing , coughing. If that happens, it will need an antibiotic.

Since the chick was chirping at one point, it is very likely this muteness is temporary. You may be hearing little chirps again very soon.

I hope so! I kinda miss it’s little chirps! This is now day 4 of it unable to chirp. Doesn’t seem to be coughing, wheezing or sneezing at all. And there’s also no whistling, just air as if it’s trying to make a sound, but can’t do it.

Back
Top Bottom