Mute Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ohsooz, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ohsooz

Ohsooz New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    So I have this Buff Orpington Rooster. He's 2 years old and has never crowed! He is definitely a rooster by his size and characteristics. He's very docile and not protective at all. Has anyone ever experienced this before? [​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    My rooster won't crow either... he's three years old. Only quiet clucks from him...

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He actually doesn't look like a rooster. He's got a large comb and wattles, to be sure, but 'he' lacks all the other characteristic traits of a rooster - no hackle, saddle, or sickle feathers, and as you said, never crowed. Buff orps are a large breed - could 'he' perhaps actually just be a large, dominant hen? In a flock with no roosters the head hen takes over a lot of the rooster's duties. I had a rescue barred rock hen who was clearly the head hen wherever she came from - she was dominant, had a large comb and wattles, and even had developed a spur.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ohsooz

Ohsooz New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    He/she isn't the dominant one. He's never layed an egg either. Maybe he's transgender:) My other Orpingtons are large too, but nothing like this one. This one is measurably larger. I don't know. But I like him/her and will love it till it dies:)

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That bird is female.

1 person likes this.
  6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Agreed...

1 person likes this.
  7. Ohsooz

Ohsooz New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    OK. We'll then she's a lazy hen! Haha, she doesn't lay. Oh well, I like her and she has a happy life. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by