Mute rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtsmylie, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mtsmylie

mtsmylie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Pullman, WA
    We have 24 Plymouth Barred Rocks that we hatched via an incubator that are now 13 weeks old, and doing great free-ranging and sleeping in the barn with our year-old hens (their moms).

Out of the 24, we have nine pullets and 15 cockerels, and the boys have all started their normal rooster behavior (including crowing) in the past few weeks. Except for one cockerel, who opens his mouth to crow, and does the whole neck-stretching thing, but no sound comes out. He's quite large and healthy looking in every other way, but appears to be completely silent.

Is it possible that he is somehow completely mute? He'll go through the motions numerous times a day, but there's just nothing coming out.

Just curious! [​IMG]

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    No idea... but if he is, you could have a lot of peoples dream rooster!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Clone him! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I could have a mute rooster...I'd definitely get me one. LOL I live in the city and can't keep one [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Certainly its possible. They can have developmental/physiological issues with the vocal cords just like humans, or possibly even something neurological where the wiring isn't right.

Seriously, I would watch this bird. If it really stays "mute" I would certainly consider either selling it or breeding it and see if other mute roosters would come from the progeny.

A LOT of us in the 'burbs would love to have roosters but can't because of the noise.

If he proves healthy and mute, I bet you could sell him to someone for a pretty penny. I'd buy him in a minute if you were in my neck of the woods, the Detroit area.

6. calichickies

calichickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I am just wondering how your mute rooster is doing?
    Is he still quiet?
    He would indeed be a GREAT bird to keep for breeding!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  7. Bygrace

Bygrace New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    I have a buff orpington that cannot crow either. He opens his mouth and tries but nothing come out. My other rooster has no problems. They are about 17 weeks old so I am just waiting to see what happens.[​IMG]

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What a wonderful problem to have!!! I agree... if this guy continues to be mute, get him into a breeding program! Does he do any vocalization otherwise???

9. rapturecidal

rapturecidal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Yucaipa Ca
    [​IMG]

This is one of my roosters right now

[​IMG]

His brother crows, dances, they both have sex with their Hens.

He is Mute and we're starting to believe he's deaf too.

His brother response to my commands, crows when I tell him to, comes to me when I tell him to, but they both will take food from my hand.

He never responds to any noise, but he does respond when hit as a mute person would.

How much would a rooster like this actually be worth, not that I'm selling him but I can prove he's mute

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  10. perrypogue

perrypogue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    Haskell TX
    I'm a newbie but thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in...my flock consists of 10 pullets and a rooster...all RIR's and about 10 weeks old. I bought the rooster solely to hear him crow. I can hardly wait. I'm excited and happy to have gotten into this. I'm loving watching them grow and just recently I've started allowing them to free range.

Now I know the true value of my garden...it's to provide treats for my chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by