1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mute Swan population to be killed!!!! Has anyone else heard this?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by chickensioux, Jan 25, 2011.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The DNR's lethal management plan arbitrarily targets a beautiful element of the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem, causing unjustifiable death and suffering. According to an eye witness, some swans are herded up, bagged and killed by hammer blows to the head and cervical dislocation. "

http://www.savemuteswans.org/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    What is wrong with people??????????? [​IMG]

3. 20123001

20123001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    That is totally wrong! maybe i will sign the petition!!

4. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I just wrote a VERY long email to them, hopefully they will read it. [​IMG] This upsets me very much and it needs to stop.

5. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Aside from eye witness acounts is there any other proof? I couldn't get to the site.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Incredible bad news.
    I'd make a call any local Humane Society, Wild Bird Rescue and TV news stations.
    A news report on the 6:00 news would create an outcry that would most likely lead to some alternatives.

7. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So should we save the swans or save the native environment?

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:So should we save the swans or save the native environment?

They said it was more likely polution hurting the environment, not just the swans

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    SWANS VOICE is - "A group for people who want a HUMANE solution to the killing of Mute Swans. In southern states there isn't much of a feral swan population. Breeders make 1200 to 1500 a pair breeding and selling swans. Some are raised in puppy mill like environments. There is even a mail order swan service. These places that sell birds don't put any emphasis on educating people about not allowing the birds to breed. Yet fish and wildlife does nothing to stop these breeders but instead persecute the swans themselves when they escape and become feral. Swans could easily be located in areas for private ownership is in demand. No relocation ideas were even considered by the Michigan DNR. Wildlife Rehabilitators who routinely take in waterfowl are being told their captive birds will be killed as well. "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by