Mute Swans in South Florida -- where did they come from?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I live in West Palm Beach, Florida, and have been watching a couple of Mute Swans that live seemingly on their own in a big freshwater lake near our downtown. Could they have migrated from somewhere or are they probably escaped domestics?

Last year we noticed a single one on this lake, it was there almost every week we drove by on our way to the library. Then it was gone for several months. A few months ago we noticed there were now two of them -- no way to tell if one was the swan from last year.

They're so beautiful, the boys & I always keep a sharp eye for them as we drive by. Sometimes "Swanny & Mrs Swanny" are near the shore, other times 'way out in the middle of the lake. Today we noticed they were on the lakeshore, so we stopped nearby and walked down by the water to get a closer look. They went into the water as we approached, so they're not accustomed to having people feed them, which is a good thing I think.

Where do you think they came from?

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    They're escapees. Feral mutes usually don't migrate.

Clint

3. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

If they breed they'll be bad news for mottled ducks in the long run.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Perhaps one of the pair was injured and could not make the journey so they are staying till the next migration season.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    They're still in town. We don't see them as often swimming in the middle of this big lake, but have seen them by the shore after dark.

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:in reference to them picking on the smaller species during breeding season? or how do you figure?

7. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

In that they have been very detrimental to native waterfowl species in the Chesapeake Bay area where they have become naturalized. Mottleds don't need any more pressure on them than introduced mallards are causing.

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Somebody put them there or escaped. I can assure you that. They are not protectedin Fl whatsoever. If at any time you want them for yourself get them. You wont break any laws at all although the ones who live on the lake wont like it.(I know this personally because I did it several years ago to save some malnutritioned ones on a much smaller lake. Wont never go there again( publicly anyway) I promise. [​IMG] And yea once anything gets too high of numbers you have a problem. We all know how to solve that Chesapeake problem real easy and fast if it wasnt for political correctness and alot of red tape like everything else.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by