muti-species sweet mix from TSC for hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brownhousefarm, Nov 11, 2011.

1. brownhousefarm

brownhousefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    Has anyone ever given their hens the multi-stock sweet mix from TSC? I am very tired of paying $16/bag for feed. I was thinking of using this mixed with ground oyster shell. The sweet mix is only $9.99 a bag. What do you guys think?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Depends a lot on the ingredients and protien content. Chickens need 14-16% protien and layers need more. Also, "sweet" would indicate that perhaps mollasses was added. Mollasses is a natural laxative for fowl. They probably don`t need that. Mixing oyster shell is a bad idea. Put it in a seperate container/feeder and let them have it free choice. Your best bet is to buy the best feed you can afford. Your flock will bennefit and so will you. I hate spending so much on feed, too. I think a better solution is to cut down on the number of birds and feed them well........Pop

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:+1. The sweet mix (assuming it's this product) is only 12% protein. It's also 18% fiber, whereas most commercial chicken feed specify 5-7% MAX fiber.

4. brownhousefarm

brownhousefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    I sell all my eggs so I am just looking to actually make $.25 per dozen but feed and bedding don't allow it (I break even). Trying to save for a nice amish built coop to improve egg gathering and coop cleaning efficiency. How does everyone else manage the free range birds? My feed bill goes down by 15-20% when I let them roam. The problem is that they poop on the walkways to the house and on our front porch. Does everyone else just deal with it?

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Yes pretty much, that's what chickens do. I definetly would not change their feed just to cut corners. You want them to stay healthy!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Ditto. If you begin to skimp on feed, you'll end up with sick hens and you'll not be getting any eggs from them. It takes a ton of energy on the hens' part to produce an egg. I am of the opinion that you simply cannot make back what you put into them by selling eating eggs, but that's just my opinion. If you don't have a love for the hobby, you'll simply get frustrated trying to find ways to cut corners.

7. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I use gamebird feed (20% protien) mixed with BOSS and cracked corn. They love it. I also use a 7# hanging-type feed (you know, the red and white ones). I place the feeder in a large plastic dog bowl so no feed gets wasted.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The only way you can make a few pennies, so to speak, from egg sales is to sell at a premium price to customers who value your product. Second, you must have outstanding laying hens and preferably hens with good feed conversion ability. But finally, the bedding and feed costs cannot eat up your profitability. I can assure you that buying feed at $16 or $17 at TSC along with $5 cubes of wood shavings is going to cut into your profits or even prevent being able to make a profit.

Rather than considering sweet feed, what you really need to find is a local feed mill that grinds their own feed. I buy Hubbard 17% Laying mash for $19.50 for a hundred pounds. That is 60% less than what you're paying and it is better feed, that is always fresh. Got to find a local feed mill. There also are ways to spend less on bedding as well.

9. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Just an afterthought: in my area, TSC is the most expensive place to buy chicken feed. If you can find a local feed store, prices might be a dollar or two lower.

Also, what Fred's Hens said. [​IMG]

10. Auburnchick

Auburnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:X3 I just found a small local feed store that carries a good quality feed that is milled here in my state, and it is $10 for a 50# bag. I couldn't believe the difference, since I'm used to getting Layena at TSC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by