Mutiny in the coop! *pics added*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fuzziecreatures, Dec 17, 2011.

1. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

2 days ago, Charlie was the alpha roo.
    [​IMG]
    *pic was months ago when the grass was still green*
    Now his comb has been bloodied, feathers a mess, banned from the coop by the Red sex-linked roo, Wattles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can they just up and rearrange the pecking order at whim? Should I be worried about whether Charlie is sick?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Roosters. [​IMG]

how old is each one? How big? I let my roosters fight (for a few seconds at a time, and only when I am around with a stick to keep them from getting bloody) so that they can sort out who is on top. Maybe try that?
    It looks like the RSL is in charge. I would keep them apart for a while, and then slowly re-introduce them to each other. Put Charlie in a separate coop for a few weeks, maybe with a hen. Make sure that the other rooster can hear him and see him, but not touch him. After a few weeks, they should be used to each other enough to not fight.

3. fuzziecreatures

Bad time of year for a mutiny, the bachelor pad is nothing more than 3 pallets covered in tarp with a roost in it [​IMG]
    It is 31* and lightly snowing outside, inside the coop it is 42*.
    Charlie is 1 month older than Wattles. They are about 10-11 mos old. Not exactly sure as they were free from a local woman.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. fuzziecreatures

I went outside at 4:30pm to check on Charlie. He was cold and wet alone in the run, plastering himself to the side of the coop to get out of the snow.
    Ok, so I am hoping the other ferret cage will work as temporary housing. The short long ferret cage is in use by Loki, our geriatric ferret. Shortly after placing Charlie in the cage, Wattles came over to harrass him. He smacked his comb on the bars and opened a cut.
    Sorry it's sideways, I can't figure out how to turn it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fuzziecreatures

Charlie has been in his coop bachelor cage for 7 days now. I felt bad for poor Charlie being stuck in the cage, his comb has healed for the most part and he is certainly feeling much better. I opened the cage door to allow him to get some exercise since Wattles had been leaving him alone in the cage. That didn't last long, as soon as he came out Wattles went after him. Poor Charlie had his head buried in the corner and Wattles was standing on him. I'm thinking poor Charlie may be destined for the table as he wasn't very nice to us and would challenge daily. Now, he's getting beat up. I really wanted some babies from him and Charleene...

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    try penning him with the desired mate for a while...or take the now dominant Wattles, and isolate HIM rather than Charlie...then again, if Charlie was not nice, most will advise you not to breed him anyway.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Charlie is so beautiful. If it were me, I'd be putting Wattles in the cage for a while.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'd imagine it's tough to decide between a human aggressive but nice looking roo and a nicer but not as nice looking one for your purposes. Personally I'd never breed one that was aggressive to people. I just will not have one.

9. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I don't have any rooster wisdom to offer, sorry. Charlie is beautiful. Does anyone know what type of chicken he and his mate are?

10. fuzziecreatures

Charlie and his mate were supposed to be Black Ameraucana, but Charleene lays an olive egg.
    We had Charlie in his cage for a while, the other roo left him alone in there. No change in their behavior, we've decided as long as they aren't killing each other it would be ok. Most times Wattles doesn't care if Charlie is there. If Charlie even thinks Wattles sees him, he runs.... then of course Wattles will chase. Charlie sneaks up on the roost at night, and tries to keep away from the other roo during the day. If he gets chased out into the run, he now has a hiding hole. I put a recycling can on it's side, a flake of straw inside, and used some plastic container lids to shelter him from the snow and bitter wind.
    I have let them free range on the unseasonably warm days, Wattles keeps an eagle eye on Charlie but ignores him unless he is running away. He just watched over his girls and shared a dust bath with them. Charlie was ranging around by himself. Then Charlie snuck up on me, jumped at my legs... I guess he'll never learn.

Edit:
    If Wattles ever does become human aggressive, he won't be around long because he has some nasty looking spurs that will hurt ALOT.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by