1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MUTINY!! My wife and son jump ship!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catdaddy66, Nov 7, 2010.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I was thinking out loud today and mentioned "It may be time to order/raise more chicks." [​IMG]
    The response was a loud "NO!!" [​IMG] It seems that the real objection is that they were raised indoors the last two times and cleaning the space after moving the teenagers out to the "Big House" was absolutely disgusting/horrendous/insert adjective here. I guess I was thinking that the layers would start about April if I got them now. I guess I will fix an outdoor brooder to keep the family onboard this little chicken ark we have here!

Anyone else get a negative response to the idea of expanding your poultry enterprise? Let us know about it!!

2. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Well, my wife says they stink up the garage but I have to put them some where since they are already here, right?[​IMG]

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Sure, but its nothing ignoring them or bribing with pumpkin bread can't fix.

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I do have to say I will never raise the chicks in the house again....They have been out in the coop 2 1/2 months now and I am still cleaning up their mess... [​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Nah, my husband just gave up on saying no more.
    I just give him a call at work and say, "Honey guess what you got me?" and he just asks if it's chickens or ducks. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When I was showing light grown leghorn bantams, I used to keep the roosters in the cellar in the winter.[​IMG] My wife didn't take real kindly to that. Their pens were diretly beneath our bedroom, and you know how roosters greet the day.[​IMG]

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:[​IMG] HAHA. Thats funny.

Ya its funny cause when ever i say something like ya i am going to sell the eggs we have leftover at the farmer market [we have 6 age rdy hens and 10 more aging up maybe 9 i think ones a roo] and build some more coops and get more chickens, she is all YA you should totally do it. And my father is like now what are you doing? and where are you putting them? and what are you doing again? LOL

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, as it turns out (and nobody told me this) lots of chicks in a brooder make LOTS and LOTS of dust. I mean epic, biblical proportions LOTS.
    And said dust travels VERY far and settles on and in, absolutely EVERYTHING, including vertical surfaces. (who knew?)

I keep the brooder in our big detatched garage. The same garage my husband keeps all his hobby model airplanes and remote control cars and boats. All those 'toys' have lots of small crevices and seals and mechanical do-hickies with lots of wires and serve-o's and junk that are apparently very attractive to floating chick dust, because thats where a large majority of it seems to settle. Hubby is NOT pleased. He keeps asking "When is chick raising season over?" in very impatient tone. He keeps threatening to move my brooder outdoors! (never gonna happen! [​IMG] ) It was pretty bad out there this year, you could write in the dust, even make little hills out of the dust for the occasional passing spider to ski down. It took alot of willpower for me to ignore all that dust, but I managed. Actually, it wasnt all that hard to ignore when I had soooo many new chicks to care for and play with! [​IMG]

It took him forever to clean up all the dust and blow out the garage. When he was finished, he told me no more chicks till spring, period. I told him he should invest in dust covers for his toys- he said I should look into breeding 'dustless chickens'. I very quietly agreed no more chicks, but then I 'happened' into some amazing eggs (Icelandics) that I couldnt turn down. I think I might have him convinced that 4 chicks wont make hardly any dust at all. (hee hee hee!)

Thats pretty much the worst part of raising our chickens- the dust. Hubbsters doesnt want me to raise more chicks just because of the dust. At least thats his only issue- never mind the cost of feed, or the chicken poo and feathers all over, nor the hours I spend with my chickens cleaning the coops and nesting boxes and just generally being near them, nevermind THAT, his only complaint is the dust! [​IMG]

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    HAHA. Of all those things he chooses the dust. LOL.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL

The magic chick dust that gets everywhere and is sure to clog HEPA filters in a single use. I brood all the chicks outside in their own brooder grow out hut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by