Mutt chicken.. . gender please? Update # 24!

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. That red leakage on the wing will probably spread as he gets older. And I think those are hackle feathers starting. I don't know where your egg comes from, but not that bird.

I think at 5 mos. it could most def. be a hen, shes just got big legs. You could always put her in a cage for a couple of days alone, but in with the other hens and if there is an egg in with her shes a hen . I think that most of the things like the red spots on the wings work MOST of the time but NOT all of the time, there is always the exception, besides this hen has had a big comb from early on and it really hasn't grown too much since then just gotten a darker red which would be natural if she has started laying.

PS its just my opinion but if she was hatched out of an blue or green egg she is an EE.
smile.png

I meant to say the comb and wattles look the right size in comparison to her body size, if it was a Roo they would be much larger I would think. and the hackle and saddle feathers would be way more evident also.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but are you sure THAT bird laid the egg?

Hens/females cannot actually have red in the shoulders/wings with a remaining solid body like it, but most importantly, females don't have finer barring on the wings, back, and neck than the breast and thighs. That's a male trait, in fact, that's a saddle/hackle trait. They're just not as developed yet because he's still pretty young, some cockerels take 6-7 months to fully look like a rooster.

I know everyone thinks she or he is a Rooster, but the owner think she is getting eggs from it, so the only way to know is to put her in a separate area and see if she lays an egg. Or sit there all day and watch and see if she lays, cage seems an easier option to me,
smile.png
but that way she would know for sure.
big_smile.png
I have a blue silkie over a year old that is built more like a roo, but has never crowed or tried to mate the hens nor layed an egg I'm still waiting on it to make up its mind.

pop.gif
Looks like rooster to me. Hen's egg color does not really change....brown stays brown, white stays white, etc. But, the shade may change daily or through out the laying cycle (start darker and get lighter near the end of the laying cycle). I hope the OP will separate the chicken in question and see if s/he really does lay an egg. I have heard that a hen can dress like a rooster, but that is hardly ever heard of and when it does the hen stops laying.
idunno.gif
I will just wait and see.
big_smile.png
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom