Mutt chickens, 12 weeks old, just need help confirming male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by baltimoreharps, Sep 6, 2009.

1. baltimoreharps

baltimoreharps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Hi all!
    I have 12 week old chicks that Quail_Antwerp sent as eggs back in June. They are all a very diverse mix and most according to Quail, had a BO for the dad. I know for sure that I have 2 roo's, the other chicks I'm 95% sure are hens, except for 2 that have me stumped.
    So, I thought that the BYC gang that have way more experience than I do, could help me determine who is what gender! [​IMG]

This is the first one,Roscoe, who is a EE. He/She is SO tiny compared to the rest of the birds, it looks like a regular wild bird compared to the big BO mixes![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other one is Eagle, I'm not sure what she is:
    [​IMG]

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    look like girls to me

3. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Sorry, I hit the wrong button! [​IMG]

Eagle continued:

[​IMG]

And then there is Betty Boop. I'm pretty sure she's a hen, but just want to be sure! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated, I'm really hoping we got super lucky and only have 2 roos and 10 hens. [​IMG]
    Thanks to Quail again, these birds are so good natured and gentle, they are just a real pleasure to have around!! [​IMG]

4. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Thanks Luvchicks!!

5. obe10

obe10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Irmo, South Carolina
    are those saddle feathers i see *looks around suspiciously* not sure about betty boop looks rooish to me but then again maybe hen? not sure but the rest are girls for sure

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    All look like pullets.

And Eagle is an EE, too.

7. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:I hope not!! [​IMG] Betty's always been "poofy" everywhere, lol. I'll try to get better pics of her on the legs today. [​IMG] I'm just in love with that little bun tail....[​IMG]

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think Eagle is an EE too.

Roscoe & Eagle are pullets. I'm not sure about Betty Boop - she looks awful red in the face and has a red comb, but I don't have any experience with her breed.

9. baltimoreharps

Mar 27, 2009
    Cabarrus Co.
    Quote:Betty's always been very red in the face since about 6 weeks, but the temperment she has isn't roo-ish at all. Everyone picks on her and Roscoe since they are the tiniest and she tries to stay out of everyone's way.
    Lol, with roscoe's attitude, I thought she had a better chance of being a roo! That chicken takes nothin' off of any of the bigger chicks! [​IMG]

I'll get better pics of Betty when we free range later today. Thanks so much for the help!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by