Mutt chickens or something?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heathersboers, Dec 3, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I have a welsummer rooster-He is with a few buff orpingtons, several white rocks, and a blue laced wyandotte, RIR,and some sorta black hen with some green in her ??? Will this cross make anything?? I have them in the bator-very few are white-most are dark or medium tan eggs. Just wondering what kind of color combo I could come up with. The eggs are so large-they barely fit into a normal egg carton- The black hen is lying eggs almost as dark as copper marans- I kept quite a few of those.

2. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    My guess is mutts. BUT, pictures after hatching will always help!!! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sorry, you'd just make mutts with slightly darker eggs than the parents laid. But, they'd be pretty and still chickens! [​IMG]

Does the black one have feathered legs?

4. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    No feathered legs-she looks double laced with copper color and green? IDK anything about breeds-only popular ones- The rooster maybe a danish something?? - Im going to take some pictures tomorrow to see if they can be identified- The rooster weighs about 16 pounds and the hens are 10-14 pounds. I bought them from Tractor Supply this spring-eggs that are now in the bator

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  5. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Barnavelder?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's a Barnevelder.

eta - Her and the Welsummer should provide terra cotta type eggs, possibly a little more pale or speckled

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    They would be mutts, but should be good layers. I think mutts are some of the most interesting looking chickens. You are doing better than me, I had some Cochin X Black Austrolorp! [​IMG] Actually they don't look too bad going to keep the two pullets to see how they turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by