1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mutt Chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pats Poultry, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Pats Poultry

Pats Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Hi to all,
    Could someone tell me what might be the breed of these three chicks, We got these from a gal that we know and am pretty sure that they are all crosses of some sort. The first two have puffy feathers on their cheeks, They look like chipmunks with a mouthful of nuts and the third one has a few feathers on her feet but I think she is going to be the smallest of the three. Thanks for your help

[​IMG]
    This one is 11 weeks old She is the friendliest one of the three and the biggest moocher

[​IMG]

This one is also 11 weeks old and is the most stand offish

[​IMG]
    and this one is 15 weeks old and was the biggest of the three when we got them but now she is the smallest.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They all look to be Easter egger mixes, so mixes of mixes. Does the last one have feathered legs or is that just the way the photo looks.

3. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I'm no expert, but the first two are probably Easter Eggers, based on their muffs (the puffy face feathers). If they lay bluish or greenish (or even pinkish) eggs, that will tell you for certain. They're a mixed breed. Don't know about #3. Enjoy!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like someone was cross breeding Easter eggers. The last one may be an Olive Egger. Other than that, no specific breed jumps out.

can you post full body shots to confirm gender?

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2, First two Easter Eggers and last one, depending on your definition of Easter egger, maybe, but I'm guessing an olive egger and the dark egg part of her breeding may well be a black copper marans. I have some mixes that look like that. My black copper marans passed their feathered legs onto their olive egger offspring.

6. Pats Poultry

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Here are the full body pics of the three chicks. They are not the best cause it is cold outside, not for the chicks but for me.
    [​IMG]
    This one is the one with the feathers on her legs and no puffy cheek feathers

[​IMG]
    This one is the friendly moocher

[​IMG]

And this one is the scardie cat

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would guess there's Cochin in the mix for the last black one with the feathers on it's legs, all of them look more round and full bodied, so perhaps they are all Cochin Easter egger crosses.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with that

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree

10. Pats Poultry

Oct 17, 2016
    Colorful Colorado
    Thank you all for the replies. I guess I was more curious than anything as it really does not matter because no matter what they are they are a blast to have around, With just the three that we have and the three different personalities I cant imagine the folks with 15, 20 or more birds and how all of those personalities intermingle with each other and their humans. This is more fun and entertaining than I would have ever thought. I guess I should get the nest boxes opened up and finished as the one with the feathers on her feet is 15 weeks old, so I would guess that I have about a month or so before we get our first egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by