mutt chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jwilson48, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jwilson48

jwilson48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    okay first off i have a black australorp rooster. i have barred rock hens, isa browns, australorps, and a couple mystery hens. im pretty sure the barred rocks will make a black sex link. my main question is with the isa browns. i know they will be mutts, but will they be good layers? the australorps are good layers, as are the isa browns, but if they won't be good layers i will just breed the barred rocks and nothing else. i am referring to breeding the australorp roo to the isa brown hens. thank you

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, you're correct that your barred rock hens under your aussie roo will make sex link babies.

I'd think the isa hen crosses would make great layers, also. At least on a par with the barred rock and other aussie babies. Maybe not quite as many as the mother hen, but for most of us if a hen lays 5 eggs a week we're thrilled, we don't need 6 or 7 from each hen consistently like the commercial places do.

3. jwilson48

jwilson48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    thank you for your input! yes 5 eggs a week would be perfectly fine to me! i hope the mutt babies have the same temperament as the parents. all my chickens are sweeties but especially the isa browns. i purchased them from a guy who was buying them from a commercial farm after their first season of laying was over with. they were cheap and have been great layers. but i know they won't lay forever like this, hence why the commercial farms get rid of them so young. hopefully their mutt babies will inherit most of their good qualities!!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You might look for Fred's Hens' thread on breeding the isa down to the third generation. He had some beautiful, productive birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by