Mutt Chicks. What to do with extras?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by phoenix912, Apr 10, 2012.

1. phoenix912

phoenix912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I have been hatching my own eggs to add to my flock. My chicks are pretty much mutts. What is the best way to sell the extras? How much should I ask for them ect..Should the price depend on age or sex? Also where would be the best place to list them? I don't have any I want to part with yet. We haven't decided which ones we want to keep yet. Any advice would be helpful so I can plan ahead.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Craigslist! As babies 2-3$ each....as they grow...more money...as pol pullets 10-15$ each ( point of lay birds) roosters...whoever you can give them too! Lol

3. phoenix912

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    They are so cute right now I want to keep them all. I have 7 that are a month old. 25 that are 1-2 weeks old. 16 eggs in the bator due Friday. 30 eggs waiting for bator to be cleaned. My other half is about to choke me to death. We have 2 NHR hens. 1 barred rock roo.1 cuckoo maran hen. 1 white hen not sure of her breed. 2 sebright bantam hens.1 bantam roo not sure what he is. 4 silkies that are about 2 months old.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Oh boy! If you dont plan on keeping all of them...Id start placing craigslist ads now! Lol Im serious...its going to get very costly soon!

5. phoenix912

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Here are some pics. Some of the chicks were hatched some came from Tractor Supply.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. phoenix912

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Should I charge for the roo's or just give them away? As for the hen's do they have to be laying egg's already to be counted as pol?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No, you can sell pullets at any time. POL means they are at the age of lay, any day now, kind of thing. You'll likely find it challenging to find takers for the cockerels. Some folks claim charging a bit raises the perception of "value". Others, declare they have a dickens of time getting rid of cockerels. This is likely of matter of local differences.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    X2 If they are not pure bred roosters....you will have a very hard time selling them at all..you might get lucky and a local might pay a few bucks apiece for processing...I can tell you even with my pures...I almost never can sell them in my area...I wind up processing most of them...if you can get a few bucks get it...otherwise give them away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by