1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mutt-Duck ID

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chic_girl, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I have a nice flock of 5 Mutt-Ducks, and I finally got around to posting a picture! I wanted to see if anyone felt like guessing what they might be mixed with. [​IMG]
    They are about 3 years old now, and wonderful birds. The 3 ladies are still laying, and recently, I've been getting 2 eggs a day.
    They were sold to me by Meyer Hatchery in OH as Fawn and White Runner ducklings, and as they grew up, I had no suspisions about them. But when they were still young, I took them to a 4-H show, and when they were penned next to 'proper' runners, I knew they were lacking the true Runner qualities: the extra-long neck and body!
    I used to have Buffs, and I believe Meyer sold me Buff/Runner crosses. Does anyone else have some of those? We could compare birds! Any other guesses on my flock's parentage?

Lets See if I can get the pic to work...
    [​IMG]

They have coffee-related names- the 2 boys are Biscotti and Cappuccino, and the girls are Latte, Muffin, and Cinnimon

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I don't know...they look an awful lot like my "runner" ducks. I think it's actually quite common for f&w runners from hatcheries to look like this.
    I also got mine from a local hatchery.
    [​IMG]

Like you said though, wonderful birds and my girls are just starting to lay and doing a good job at it.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You both have beautiful ducks, love their coloring.

4. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Woah! My duckies have twins! Your drake in front has the same white mark behind his eyes as Cappy! (my drake in the middle)

5. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I have a fawn runner also that looks like one in the top picture. There is a BIG difference between show quality and hatchery quality. They are all beautiful birds regardless. Mine started laying at 5 months and hasn't missed a day since.

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    They are sure pretty - whatever they are~ [​IMG]

7. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    So are they actually Runners than?
    Terrible quality Runners, but Runners all the same?
    I must go out and tell them that they are not lies- just oddballs!

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Yep, you have hatchery runners, them seem to be bigger bodied and not as upright as what others with show quality runners pst pictures of.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes they are runners. Not "terrible" quality, just not show quality. I just looked at show quality ones on feathersite. I like yours better!! The real skinny, totally upright birds don't look good to me. [​IMG] Your's look happier and healthier. You should be proud of them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I am not fond of the skinny, upright look of runners (sorry runner owners personal preference [​IMG] ). But I really like the looks of your ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by