1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mutt/Hatchery/Non-Standard Chicken Photos!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fleabuskitty, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I'm sure everybody has mutts, "experiments", hatchery/production-type, or flawed purebred chickens. Sometimes even though a chicken is completely screwy compared to the Standard of Perfection, their "off" markings or features are really awesome looking! I think chicken genetics are very interesting, and I have hatched 4 chicks so far that are complete mutts. Don't worry, I don't ever plan on selling my mutts or passing them off as something else; all of the pullets I hatch will join my free-ranging flock and roosters go to freezer camp. I also have chickens from hatcheries or that just act silly.
    I know everybody else probably has Silkie or Polish mixes with wacky combs or crests, but here are some of my imperfect chickens. Please post yours, too!

[​IMG]
    Bantam birchen Cochin Decima. She has a (incubator hatched) 10 week old daughter named Pecan whose father is a LF Production/Rhode Island Red. I do not have any photos of Pecan yet, but she is almost solid black with the same markings as Decima only in red (black patterned red (incomplete) quail according to the chicken calculator)

[​IMG]
    Peanut, 10 month old hatchery Buff Brahma. I LOVE this picture!

[​IMG]
    Some of the chickens eating.

[​IMG]
    Beans and Rice, two EE mixes I hatched from eggs that I bought from a local person who was selling them for $2 eating. The people said that they had Jersey Giants, RSLs, and EEs. Beans hatched from a blue EE egg (not green-blue but actually Ameraucana blue, though I doubt Beans' mom was a real/pure Ameraucana.), but his single comb suggests that his father was one of the other breeds, most likely RSL judging by his color. Rice hatched from a medium sized brown egg but has a pea comb, so her mother was probably a RSL and her father an EE. Beans is bearded/muffed, and I love the colors on both of them.

[​IMG]
    Tallulah the alpha rooster. He tends to attack strangers (not me) and my sister wants to eat him. But he is very good with the lady chickens (he is, obviously, protective) and I have had 100% fertility with all of the eggs I've incubated, so he gets to stay. If you can't tell, he is a production/RIR. I got him at TSC last April.

[​IMG]
    Decima, Stella the BSL, and Athena and Minerva the Dominiques. Both Decima and my blue bantam cochin, Nona, do this.

[​IMG]
    Peanut again with Stella and Tallulah in the background (and their epic new pop door).

[​IMG]
    Nona the blue bantam cochin and her 10 week old daughter, Morta. Morta's father is Tallulah.

I have some other photos here; http://fleabuskitty.deviantart.com/gallery/33893503

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Peanut looks like he's doing an indian stomp dance.

3. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Alright so it wont let me post pics but i have 2 mutts and i think one of them is a serama/something becaause she is very small as so with the other one

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    My best layer is a mutt! She is a mixed between a silver spangled hamburg and a buff laced polish [​IMG] Her name is McDonalds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My cochin (mixed colours, but bought from a breeder)

[​IMG]
    My other cochin (same mixed colours given to me from the same breeder, as she has an issue with her eye).

5. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] That's hilarious!
    Aoxa - I think Polish mixes (and Silkie mixes, too) are so looking weird with the sort of half-crests [​IMG] Weird in a good way, of course. All of yours are adorable!

It's actually really hard to get pictures of Peanut without him looking like he has "crazy eye". Here is an example of him looking fairly crazy-eyed. I think it's something about the pea comb...
    [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    The is rosie i have no clue what she is. She is the size of a serama.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    here's a few of my hatchery birds and mutts [​IMG]

here's white egg laying supposed 'BSL', Clove.
    [​IMG]

some mutts and hatchery birds: left to right, Clove, Peregrina (hatchery BR), Pheonix (silkie mix), Ari (cochin mix)
    [​IMG]

i love this photo. these mix breed chicks are all about the same age, but look at the size difference!
    [​IMG]
    mixes: top roost (left to right) sapphire (silkie/ rosecomb), chive (cochin X), whisper (silkie mix). bottom roost: opal (silkie/d'uccle)
    [​IMG]

i know i use this image a lot, but i love this mix! i call them rosies (silkie/rosecombs) i think they are beautiful [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Love the pictures! It's great to see threads with photos! [​IMG]

Tinychicky--WOW! Awesome cross, I love the color of the combs and wattles! (Silkie/Rosecomb)

Let's see, I have Hatchery quality... A Silkie roo: [​IMG]

An Easter Egger roo:
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG] Mutts are very colorful [​IMG]

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Little Sister is a poor example of a Jersey Giant with her crooked toes and tail that constantly turns to the left.

[​IMG]

This comb is definitely a no-no for a JG:

[​IMG]

Askew's eyes are not the right color for a JG:

[​IMG]

Big Sister's head is all wrong for a JG:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by