Mutt love child, what is it? Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shared Acres, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    We have silkies, but my inlaws next door have taken in some stray chickens. One is a light red, I'm thinking a New Hampshire Red or Red Sex Link (from what I've been reading on here) and the rooster is a bantam, my husband thinks it's called an Old game or something like that.

I need to get pics of them to properly identify them, but here is their love child. She is starting to get White and black barrs on her feathers, which are coming in fast. This photo was taken about Wed. when the chick was a week old.

There was a Barred Rock Or Copper Maran over there, but it was killed, and we don't think it was the parent.

Is it a boy or girl? And how do you tell, as they have another love child on the way. : >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    OH my goodness, how adorable!!!! Don't have a clue what it is but it's cute!

3. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    After telepathically sending messages to the chick...I'm thinking a cockerel. Whatever that breed is....the chick and I are still confused...

4. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I really cannot tell what gender or breed lol I just wanted to comment on the AWESOME picture quality that you have!! What kind of camera do you use. Those pics are to die for!!!

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Thanks so much for the replies. Hopefully, someone can tell for sure!

I use a Canon 40D camera and shot this with a 28-135 IS lense in my studio.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

Do you think the markings on its back look like maybe EE ??

7. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Quote:Hey, I am an armature photographer and I just bought a 40D. How have you liked using it? I can't believe how great my pictures come out. I have always used the darkroom, so I am new to digital.

8. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure EE is in there SOMEWHERE! lol! I know that my Speckled Sussex had those same lines down the back when she was a chick, but she was more reddish in color all over.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I thought you could tell by the shape of the head?

10. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Poulet....to sex the chick you must SPEAK with the chick...(whether through the picture or in person...LOL)

I told you...I ain't telling you how I do it...just that I can do it! LOL

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by