Mutt lovers thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Delmar, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Are there those of you out there, who prefer mixed breed chickens over "purebred"?
    It seems to me that mutts have the opportunity to be more genetically diverse ant therefore more interesting!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    To be honest with you, most colors of "pure" breeds out there had another breed mixed in with them to get that color, so really, they're as much of a "mutt" as most mutts out there. [​IMG]

There's a lot of people with mutts, but most of these mutts threads come and go. I myself don't have many "mutts," but I've got a collection of photos slowly building up over time of the different F1 crosses I've had.

3. Lurken Turken

Lurken Turken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Acampo
    [​IMG]I love my mutts!

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

All but one of my Hill House flock (23 chickens) are mixed; the one who isn't is an Ameraucana rooster that I acquired to breed back to the BO x Ameraucana hens to keep the blue-egg genes going. I'm nuts for colored eggs, and pretty chickens of any kind. [​IMG]

Edited to correct the number of chickens on the Hill that are mine. Loads of chickens and geese and guineas and ducks also hang around my house looking for a free meal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Here are some of my mutts: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    More pictures please! Plllleeeaaaassseeeee:weee

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Well, I have mainly Hatchery bird, but are certain breeds. I do have a rooster that is mixed, his dad was a RIR and his mother was a pure bred Naked Neck. Right now, I have 12 eggs under a broody and they are all mixes.

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I don't love my mutt, I ADORE HER!!

I mixed BO X GSL... The ONE chick that I got, is amazing! Winchester (Winnie for short) was born in August 2010 and started laying in December 2010! Only about 8 weeks from birth to laying! I plan to do this again in the spring! Her daddy, Remington, is a sweetie! He is so calm and never attacked any humans! His surrogate mother, a GSL named Eunice (or Mama girl), was a little jerk while she was sitting, but is a good girl now! [​IMG] She attacked my dog, when she came to the coop with me! LOL

Here are a few pics of her throughout her life!

[​IMG]
    Excuse the baldness in this next one... She got in a fight over her baby. Hence the cage!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forwar to seeing more mutts! I will definitely be following this thread!

10. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Here are my "Mutts" [​IMG]

My Rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And his babies... From BO moms and a Cochin thrown in..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by