Mutt rooster--I think--can you identify?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jedalamoma, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jedalamoma

Jedalamoma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Hello! I handraised this roo, along with 11 other hens/roos, 2 years ago. I just bought a chick assortment from a local farmer. He couldn't guarantee what breeds they would turn out to be, but I didn't care at the time, I just wanted egg layers! Now that I've been into chickens for a while, I'm curious as to what breed this rooster may be? He is beautiful--his name is Oreo. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! (this is also my first time to upload images to a forum topic, so if they don't show up well, let me know)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    He looks like he has the genes of a red sex link rooster. That does not mean he is a sex link. If the hen is gold and the rooster is silver, his looks will turn out a lot the same but he is not a sex link. But I suspect one parent had silver and one contributed gold.

I suspect one of his parents may have been a Delaware with that barring pattern. As light as the gold is on his hackles and saddle, I suspect his other parent may have been a buff. These are just wild guesses. I really don't know. I'll lurk on this thread and see what the experts say.

Striking, isn't he.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, he's beautiful.
    Can you build me one? [​IMG]

4. Jedalamoma

Jedalamoma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Thanks, Ridgerunner! There is no telling what he is crossed with--that guy had tons of breeds all running loose! I was just curious as to the possibilities of what he might be crossed with..thanks for the help!

EastTXchick--lol, he is so beautiful! Maybe we can clone him! j/k [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My first thought was also Delaware. Keep in mind I have no personal experience with them, just drool over the pics! But I'd say one parent was a Dellie, not sure on the genetics if it would be momma or dad or if you could tell. BO is as good a guess as any for the other parent, something gold probably. Beautiful roo!

6. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I have one that looks almost identical to this. I got him from a guy up the road too! Wonder what they are????

Mine are not quite a year old and have yellow legs.

He is on the left in both pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other white, has to be his brother or something. We got them at the same time.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. Abbeygremlin

Abbeygremlin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    My guess would be barred rock rock mix. Is there feathering on his legs? The picture is a bit blurry. He is beautiful though whatever he is.[​IMG]

8. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I agree, wild guess would barred rock mix. But again, he is beautiful!

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    BR cross.

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, he's not an EE. LOL! Yeah, I'd guess BR .....maybe BR/Leghorn cross although his stance makes me think maybe some OEGB somewhere way back? Pffftttt, what do I know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by