Mutt turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Struttn1, May 31, 2008.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I've got 10 Royal Palm/Red Bourbon mix turkey poults from 2 weeks to 1 month old and am wondering what in the blue blazes these things will look like when they mature.

Anybody got any pics of mature Royal Palm/Red Bourbon mix?

Some of the little gobblers are already strutting and trying to gobble. We had one strutting just 3 days out of the incubator. They are hilarious.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Ooo interesting! NO idea what they'll look like other than cool. Lucky you! [​IMG]

They sound so cute! [​IMG]

3. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I am planning to sell most of them but I am planning to keep at least one gobbler long enough to see what it matures into. I am placing an ad in the paper this coming week to begin the sell off.

if they turn out looking really cool I may start breeding them in earnest but I just want to see how they turn out first.

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are the two breeds I'm wanting to mix next Spring!! Is it possible you could post pics of yours? I'd really like to see what mine would turn out to look like, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Sure. I will take some pics of the poults tommorrow. The older one is just starting to put out some feathers with some color and pattern but not enough yet to determine what he is going to turn out like. He has been gobbling and strutting up a storm the past few days or maybe I should say trying to gobble. it is beginning to look like he is going to have a medium buff fan trimmed with white tips and black bands.

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I was wondering the same thing! I have the same exact mix, bourbon x royal palm! A friend of mine told be they have the coloring of a female ringneck pheasant when they mature. I'm not for sure though.

7. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Ok. I got a few pics from different angles. These range in age up to 7 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    They look an awful lot like my mutts that are bourbon x narragannsett. The girls are gray, narry colored with a few more brown/red feathers than a regular narry and the boys are bronze.

I'm guessing you'll get the same thing only a shade lighter.

9. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Those are so pretty. I have 2 royal Palms that are a week old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by