1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mutt X purebred

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peacockfarmer1, Dec 30, 2010.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    what would i get if i crossed this with a jersey giant hen (black) would the male offspring still have a pea comb and would he be the same color?? would the offspring be big?? thanks
    [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i
    no expert but id say it would be a dark colored bird with red or gold leakage and a pea comb.

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] if he carries two genes for the pea comb then all the offspring would have pea combs, but if he only carries one gene then half would have single combs and half would have pea combs.

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Is this a Easter Egger rooster? Just ondering, I would like to create a Black Breasted Red (Red Duckwing) in a Plymouth Rock or Wyandotte (maybe), and that rooster looks Black Breasted Red (Red Duckwing) to me. Is he, any experts out there?

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Is this a Easter Egger rooster? Just ondering, I would like to create a Black Breasted Red (Red Duckwing) in a Plymouth Rock or Wyandotte (maybe), and that rooster looks Black Breasted Red (Red Duckwing) to me. Is he, any experts out there?

No he is a Brown/Red as the wing triangle is black, it should be red to be a red duck-wing. [​IMG]

catdaddy

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    No he is a Brown/Red as the wing triangle is black, it should be red to be a red duck-wing.

catdaddy

Okay, I see what you are talking about. Thanks.​

7. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

They should have a peacomb and the chicks would be dark since you are crossing the roo to a black jersey giant hen and the offspring should be big in size when they grow up.

8. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    thanks for the replies [​IMG]

9. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    The offspring would be black with either both pea and SC or just pea comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by