mutt??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newchickky, Jan 29, 2011.

1. newchickky

newchickky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Redford
    any ideas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Dominique pullet?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like a Cuckoo Marans pullet to me. Does she have pink/white legs like it seems in the photo? If so, she's going to lay some orange colored eggs for you. [​IMG]

Dominiques have better barring, no pencilling on the neck, and a rose comb

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  4. newchickky

Sep 27, 2010
    Redford
    she does have wht/pinkish legs! yeah! i cannot wait for my first egg!! she is 18 weeks old, so i am looking forward to eggs:)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think that is a mix. Looks like lacing and barring together. The reason I say this is this pullet that came from a Delaware rooster over a BR/ameraucana cross hen:

[​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just my 2 cents, it takes a very narrow list of breeds to make a mutt with that color and white legs, plus, have you seen the Cuckoo Marans from hatcheries? [​IMG] Their "barring" is just like that, and indeed often does have weird lacing, blotchiness, difference in dark/light shades on the neck vs body, etc.

No offense to the hen though. [​IMG]

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Sure is pretty!

9. newchickky

Sep 27, 2010
    Redford
    I love her just the same. She seems to have a very tiny head, and it almost looks vulture like. Her name is Tina, in my profile picture, she is the dark fuzzy butt. When I start to get eggs, I will post a picture. That is assuming hers looks different than my RIR.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:No, I haven't seen Cuckoo Marans with that patterning, even from the hatchery. That's not good!

I have the full brother to the unusual bearded pullet whose pic I posted, so he is a Delaware x BR/blue Ameraucana cockerel. Both parents have yellow legs but the youngster has white legs, no beard, plus looks a good bit like what you get when you cross a blue Plymouth Rock with a barred Rock, no sign of an Ameraucana except his skin color. It's weird how mixes can come out and siblings can be so extremely different.

The hen is just fine the way she is, though, newchikky, I just think she's a mix. [​IMG] Let us know what her eggs look like!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by