1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mutts, breed and especially....gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kvmommy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So the white one likes to take on my 70 lb boxer. She fluffs up and jumpes at the dog with her claws bared. The barred rock looking one is extremely timid and won't even forage far from the coop even when the other two are gone. The black one, has big tail feathers and started growing a wattle and comb before the barred rock but the growth just stopped. They are about 4 mo. old. Sooooo...what do you think?

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Black-Balck Sumatra (Hen)
    Barred-Barred Rock (Hen)
    White-Light Sussex (Hen)

3. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Not sure about the Black Sumatra?

4. AnimalLady123

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Good Luck!!

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

They are all mixed, and all look like girls.. Except maybe the white one.. The other two are very girly :)

6. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    YAY! I hope they are girls, the barred rock one kinda looked boyish to me...well i don't think ive ever seen a rooster in person. but it has a big tail and more comb and wattle. Sooo..do they look like they might be laying soon? They look redder than before but i dnon't know how much redder they're supposed to be.

7. aoxa

[​IMG] Here's my barred rock roo at 5 months if that helps ;) I know yours is a mutt, but she looks like a girl to me so far. One that is relatively close to laying too. Can you pick her up without a fight? Roosters seem to put up more of a fight when you try to handle them. My roo started crowing at 5 months old. If it was a roo, it's comb and wattles would be even bigger than that. [​IMG] Here is my 6 month old BR pullet.

8. aoxa

If your white one doesn't have feathered feet, it could have Delaware in her :)

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I can see 3 beautiful pullets there [​IMG]

10. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Oh you guys!!! ur making me giddy! [​IMG] i wanted hens sooo bad and was starting think i had a bunch of roos. The breed isn't a big deal, I was just curious and every answer sounds awesome to me!!! I just had a long talk with the girls. The moment I step outside they come up to me begging for food (even though they have an endless supply of grow out crumbles and 2 handfuls of scratch) so I told them this is a take take take relationship. They need to start giving me something in return. So here's to hoping the girls heed my advice. Thank you guys!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by