'Mutts' possibly RIR x White Leghorn - Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by She_x, Jan 12, 2010.

1. She_x

She_x New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    Hiya - Im new round here...just posted an intro:

"....My youngests class was studying life cycles and they had fertile eggs with an incubator in the class - watched the eggs hatch and the chicks grow. My boy really loved this, and when they said that we coud take home some chicks...well, we just had to [​IMG] So we now have 4 'mutts' about 3 months old. Im trying to work out if any are roosters, as we cant keep roos where we live....."

The company that does the classroom thing says that the breeds are "Bond Brown, Bond White and Bond Black"...but I cant find any info about those 'breeds' so Im assuming its just what they call them and they are actually just mixed breeds or 'mutts'. This webpage shows the breeds they mix: http://www.hennypennyhatching.com.au/hph/Page-Breeds.asp

Im
    guessing mine are mostly White Leghorn and RIR crosses, maybe some Light Sussex?

Anyway - I have 2 very different looks...2 smaller red/brown chooks and 2 'white' (creamish) bigger chooks. They are all slightly different ages (within 2 weeks I think). Im a bad chook mummy because I cant remember exactly how old they are...or when we bought them home. I think its been about 3 months.

Im currently thinking that the 'white' with black marks might be a roo. But I keep keep changing my mind...yesterday I though none were roos...last week I thought both the whites were roos.

Chook 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chook 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chooks 3 & 4 (cos I cant really tell the browns apart yet)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comparison of size:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    2 roos 2 hens.

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I agree 2 roos (white ones) and 2 hens (brown ones) as for breeds I don't know. I have two Black Australorps and we couldn't tell them apart once they were about 8 weeks anymore. We named them Foxy and Roxy so it wasn't a big deal. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd guess the whites are roosters and the brown ones are hens. Sure will be pretty.

I'm not familiar enough with the potential crosses here to be able to tell if yours are simple crosses of purebreeds. It is possible but I suspect they are children of mutts. If they are children of mutts, it is hard to tell what is in their background. They all have yellow legs but the whites seem to have red ear lobes and the brown ones lighter colored ear lobes. I'd guess from a size and ear lobe color that the brown ones have quite a bit of leghorn background. The whites could have some leghorn in their background but probably mostly from the larger breeds. If they are second or later generation, either could have Black Australorp in their background. I'm just speculating and could easily be wrong, but I like the possible color combinations of mutts. You never know what you will get.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There Red Sex-Linked..
    The white ones with red in the shoulders are roosters, and the ones that are red are the hens.
    Could be any number of crosses. As long as the father has two recessive gold alleles and the mother has one dominant silver allele.
    In order for it to be a R.I. Red x Leghorn cross the father would be a R.I. Red and the mother would have to be a Columbian Leghorn. (Columbian being the color pattern)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I would have to agree on the sex-link breed. very pretty! I had some sex-links that looked like your girls and they laid HUGE brown eggs! good luck!

7. KelliV

KelliV Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pasco County, FL
    They look like they may also be ISA browns (RIR x RIW). I have 12 of them, and they are sex-linked birds. The white ones are roos, the red ones are hens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISA_Brown

8. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:yep

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Agree 2 roos and 2 hens
    And they do look like Sexlinks

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Ditto what the others said, they do look sexlinked.

Although, I agree that the whites look rather Leghorn shaped so I can see where you got that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by